• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pilot

aj.hardman.9

7368a45fe6335924579c579c99b6641c.jpg

Pilot taking a swim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This Tapatalk app is weird. But anyways. This is our little guy. Lol. Not so little.

He's a cutie! Love the swimming photo :) tapatalk takes a little adjusting, but now I find I use it far more than the Web version. My only dislike is the inability to see poster's signatures.

Yeah. But it automatically adjusts my pics and posts them right away. That's what I like:)

Pilot is adorable! I love the pic in the water bowl, but both pics are awesome. What morph is he. He's one pretty boy.

I'm just curious but how did he get the name Pilot? Does it have any special meaning to you?

P.S. I see the Dino prints on the water bowl. If they are adhesive it's better to remove them. If they are glued on with something non-sticky then they are safe. Snakes have a habit of getting stuck to sticky stuff, sometimes with dire consequences.

The dino prints are actually on the outside of his Viv. I never noticed but that pic does make it look like they are inside on the bowl. There is nothing in the Viv but snake friendly items:) We are told he is a butter. He is our first and only snake so not sure about the morphs but that's what they told us. He is our sons snake and he likes to play xbox and Pilot is a character in a game he likes. Lol.

Now that I look closely I can see where the Dino tracks are. So many snakes have been harmed by tape that when I see something I say something.

Pilot certainly is a beautiful butter. That's a great name. Thanks for the backstory!

He's beautiful! Did you buy him as a butter, though? Because he looks rather... orange... for a butter. More like a yellow-jacket amel or creamsicle.

He's beautiful! Did you buy him as a butter, though? Because he looks rather... orange... for a butter. More like a yellow-jacket amel or creamsicle.
That's what they had him advertised as. We got him from a reptile store out here in Colorado.

I've seen a rather depressing number of snakes at reptile expos labelled as butters that were no such thing. :/

Either way, he really is a very lovely animal.

I've seen a rather depressing number of snakes at reptile expos labelled as butters that were no such thing. :/

Either way, he really is a very lovely animal.
Would you say no for butter morph then? I kind of am curious now what morph he is.
3c1f098ae002d1cc1cf7d469abc7547e.jpg

Oh. I almost forgot. He has 1 red scale. When he is done digesting his latest meal I will try and get a pic of it. Not sure if it means anything or not.

Butters are easier to tell without flash. Flash turns things orange. Here's some examples of my butter.

Without flash and in the shade(clearly a butter):

9yRI7K.jpg

yeeArz.jpg

The saddles aren't orange. They're a sort of browned out yellow, or darker yellow.

With flash (oranged up the saddles a little):

Ag65Tw.jpg

In sunlight:

fzOsFI.jpg

Clearly a butter again. The saddles are much more obviously shades of yellow in sunlight instead of flash.

He's probably either a very yellow-ish amel, possibly due to yellow jacket or a great plains ratsnake ancestor (aka creamsicle). Butters' saddles often start out with faint orange hues, but those fade quickly, becoming deep canary yellow by the time they reach your snake's size. Pilot's saddles seem to have more of a marigold hue, something I would not expect if caramel were at play.

Oh. I almost forgot. He has 1 red scale. When he is done digesting his latest meal I will try and get a pic of it. Not sure if it means anything or not.

I find paradox spots like that are reasonably common. One of mine has one, and several breeders I know have multiple examples in their collection as well. It's basically just some kind of glitch in the pigmentation coding.

I'm no longer surprised at the amount of yellow amels sold as butters (I also saw one mislabeled at a show recently...), since every time I post a photo of the one I had, someone invariably calls him that.

Butters are easier to tell without flash. Flash turns things orange.

That is true! Maybe we'll see a difference in natural lighting. I still think he looks a bit more orange than your butter under flash though.

Thanks you two. The knowledge on this site is unbelievable. I really do appreciate it. When he comes out from digesting his latest meal I will get a pic of him in the natural sunlight.

Back