• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Power outage

ForTheHorde

I wasn't sure which thread to place this in. The power went out last night about 7p and is still out this morning. We have been told it could be up to five days that it's out. We have the chameleons and the snake, any advice on what to do when there's no power???

1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Silas)

What are your concerns?

For the snake- if you haven't fed- don't, until the power is back on. If you're worried about him getting hot, move him to the coolest place in your home. The floor is cooler than the ceiling. He'll be just fine, going without food for a week.

For the future- you can keep frozen packs to get you through a few days of too hot, and you can buy 40 or 60 hour heat packs from Superior Shipping- like a pack of ten, for winter. To use the heat pack with a snake, put it in a plastic container with holes (it needs oxygen) and put that in with the snake.

I will have to invest in those heat packs. My main concern was the heating pad not being able to heat the cage where it needs to be.

1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Silas)

Have you tried ball-pythons.net? They have a forum section for boas and lots of people have BRBs on there :)

Not sure why the OP would need to check another site, many of us here have kept BRBs and chams for many years. I'd say Nanci's answer is correct regardless of the species. You have a reptile needing warmth, and the power that runs the heating source is out. Your boa will be fine without food until the cage is back up to temp. The chameleon would be a bigger worry. What species is it (looks like a panther in the avatar)? What are your ambient house temps?

Last edited:
i few weeks ago i had the power go out on me literally at the same time my snake took his last big swallow. thankfully it was only out 2 hours so she was able to digest her mouse.

Not sure why the OP would need to check another site, many of us here have kept BRBs and chams for many years. I'd say Nanci's answer is correct regardless of the species. You have a reptile needing warmth, and the power that runs the heating source is out. Your boa will be fine without food until the cage is back up to temp. The chameleon would be a bigger worry. What species is it (looks like a panther in the avatar)? What are your ambient house temps?

Not trying to offend anyone Chip; just thought there'd be more opportunity for even more people to chime in, that's all! :)
That forum is a much larger one than this one (although I prefer this one myself) ;)

No dramas, just felt the OP was getting excellent advice and then was directed elsewhere.

I agree with Chip. There's several members here who keep or have kept a wide variety of animals, and have good information to help people.

Autumn's BP care sheet is the best info I have seen anywhere, for example.

The power is back on now, thank goodness. The chams are Panther and Ambanja(sp?). Our normal house temp is usually around 73ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news. Ambanja is a locality of panther, 73 is cool for them, but they should be fine with such a short, mild cooling. Keep an eye on their eyes. A sick panther chameleon often can tell you it is feeling bad by the eyes not looking clear. Of course, appetite and water consumption stop when they start to feel really bad. By the time their eyes look sunken or they get listless, they are in really bad shape (and often un-savable). As long as they were out of breezes for the last 24 hours, I don't think they'll miss a beat. The BRB will be fine.

Yeah I think they are alright. The only thing is now I think their sleep schedule will be out of wack for a little bit. Even with the windows open if was pretty dark in the room. I'm just glad the power came back on as quick as it did, they had me worried saying it would be several days

You might want to invest in a small generator for any future outages, not only for the snakes but for you as well. When we first built this house the housing boom was just starting and the first two summers we lived here the power grid would get so overloaded with so many new houses that we lost power at least once a week. A back up generator saved us a lot of headaches!

I've also thought about that. My fiancé and I have been talking about a "survival kit" that suits each individual reptile. We will be prepared for the next outage lol. Thank you all for your opinions and great advice. I'm going to look in to each of the options you guys have provided me with.

Back