• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

question about heating.

allthatis

I recently purchashed a cornsnake hatchling, and I was browsing these forums. I use an under tank heater, and also a red light bulb on the heat side. I was wondering if the lightbulb heating is necesarry, because I was reading on here that an undertank heater would be enough. Thanks for your time!

Hiya.

What are the temperatures on the warm and cool sides, using both the heater and lamp?

Without yet knowing your actual temps I'll just give the basic answer.
If you have the UTH you do not need the heat lamp on your warm side as well. You should also have something such as a thermostat or a rheostat (just do a simple forum search if you want pics) to regulate the UTH as by itself it can reach tempatures well over 100*F which can kill your snake.
As it stands your warm side should be low to mid 80's and your cool side from the low to mid 70's (but if it dropps at night to say mid 60's that isn't going to hurt your snake) You will also need an accurate thermometer with probe to discern the temps.
Hope this helps :D

Another question about heating

I plan on switching Gaia from her 10 glass tank to a 35 gal screened herpaterium. I know I will need to have plenty of hides and cover to make her feel comfortable. I got a UTH and a regulator. I was planing on putting the UTH on a ceramic floor tile under the herpaterium, another ceramic tile inside the herpatrium directly above the UTH tile and regulate the temps to 85. Put down aspen, 2" or so, and then put a hide over the tile area.

Does this sound like it's a good idea.

A bit overkill with the tiles. The only reason you might need the tile in the first place is so that the UTH isn't directly on the surface of whatever you have the habitat on. Like me I have my habitat on my mothers childhood furniture, certainly don't want to damage that.
But if you're using a thermostat to regulate the tempature inside the container there is certainly no reason for another tile, as you do not need to shield the snake if the temps are being regulated.

You really have to be careful when initially setting up heat for your snake. I'm sure most people here would agree with me when I say that most snakes out there are housed with the incorrect temperatures (not including
anyone on this site tho ofcourse ;) )

When I purchased my snake originally, the pet shop employee said that I needed a desert UTH under a hide with a 75 watt straight beam light directly over it (the light was to be turned on and off as part of a daily cycle). The temp on the glass with the UTH alone was 120. I couldn't tell you the temp when I added the lamp since my thermo wouldn't register it...

Snakes are unable to detect heat from their bellies (why heat rocks are frowned upon) and could easily burn themselves with what many pet stores recommend as basic kit. This shop didn't know what a reptile thermostat was, and I couldn't find one in ALL of Edmonton!

While I was waiting for my ReptiTemp 500, I used 2 heavy floor tiles and a thin piece of cardboard stacked to reduce the temperature to a more manageable 88... and that was in March. Imagine once the ambient temp rises by 15 + in the summer...

That's why was I going to use two tiles. Have the UTH on the one outside and take the temp reading on the one inside. This way some heat will disapate and the second one will never get as hot as the first one.

But this mote at this point. I have an iguana and we know she is not getting the 85 deg she needs to digest her food properly so we are getting some slate and put the UTH under that and that will be her basking ledge until we can build her a proper cage.

Here's Lizzy enjoying the spa ---

Attachments

• lizzy and duckie.jpg
    lizzy and duckie.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 35
Back