• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

question about perilite

tompro019

I have always used vermiculite in lay box and incubation, however, I have a friend that recommended to mix perilite with the vermiculite. He said 50/50 works great. The only perlite that I have found is miracle grow brand, and it has the miracle grow additive in it. Is it still safe to use.

We use a Hatchrite/Vermiculite 50/50 mix - the Hatchrite is very similar to perlite in texture and appearance but does not contain anything that would harm the animal...it maintains the humidity and moisture content at a very nice level and does not run the risk of irritating the belly scales (perlite tends to have a "rocky" texture by itself).

Yes, I have never used perlite, but I thought I would look into it, I have always had really good luck with just vermiculite, just had to check it more often to make sure it maintains humidity. I appreciate the advice. And I didn't even see a perlite that was additive free, that one bag was the only perlite I saw, well it and the 2 behind it. Home depot was sold out of vermiculite and perlite, and lowes didn't have a good selection.

I was told that, and I think I just had a single bad experience. I used it one time, and that time the snake died in the lay box, I know there were probably other issues, it just had me worried. But, I might try it again.

Yeah I have only use sphagnum moss for incubation and laying. This year I have been thinking about trying vermiculite but I keep giving the girl moss. If it ain't broke don't fix it, I guess.

I used moss in the lay box and Hatchrite in the incubator. Granted, last year was only my first breeding season with the snakes but it seemed to work well.

I had read about perilite as an option, as well, but steered away from it for the same reasons you've discovered.

Back