• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

question about temperment~

yellowbellyhippy

PaganVeganHippie!
So my new butter corn John is a bit tempremental. I don't think he was handled much. He is quite nippy. How long does it generally take for them to calm down? He is one year old.

Thanks!

Most cornsnakes will settle down quickly if handled often. Younger ones are more likely to be nippie than older ones. It is almost always more comfortable to cuddle with an older one. Just my humble opinion.

:grin01:

I like the squirmy and bitey little ones best, but that's just me.

That would be 5 nights a week for two weeks. I don't think I can go that long anymore.

He may be freaked from being in a new home, with new people, and new sounds. I have two devil diva corns, but the rest are more like squirmy puppy dogs. Just let him settle in for a wee or two so he can adjust and then handle him a few times a week on an empty dtomach increaing handling time with each session. If he bites don't put him back though or it becomes a learned behavior:)

He may be freaked from being in a new home, with new people, and new sounds. I have two devil diva corns, but the rest are more like squirmy puppy dogs. Just let him settle in for a wee or two so he can adjust and then handle him a few times a week on an empty dtomach increaing handling time with each session. If he bites don't put him back though or it becomes a learned behavior:)

Great advice, ty! I just want to hold him so bad!

Some corns never stop biting. This is probably why he was only 10 bucks. I have two that are over 3 and were handled that are nasty biters. (have fun Drew) Some corns just aren't people people...*giggles*. You will just have to wear the wussy gloves, get used to the sting of a bite, or use it as a show animal only.
Oh.... or sell them to Drew. *We took this option* They can be broodmares!

I have a rat snake that was evil. Basically we just kept handling him (with or without wussy glove) and now he pretty much figured out that biting won't make us go away. We thought that a 2 foot snake would be easier to tame than a 6 foot one, so we were just really persistent....well enough not to stress him to death.

it is pretty cute when little corns get an attitude. but I wouldnt want to get bitten regularly by a full grown corn.

I prescribe one hour of TV watching on all non-digesting nights for two weeks.

I call this therapy...lol Even some nippy adults need it. When holding it avoid the head. I have a couple that are in "therapy" that if you do any movement on the head area then WACK. Just be slow but consistent with your movements when holding. Like Nanci mentioned a couple of good weeks and "most" of the nippers learn you and you learn what they will except as far as holding.

Back