• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

question on humid hides

annacobb

Can a snake spend to much time in a humid hide? Would one left in all the time be a bad thing? Or is it better to only put one in durring shedding?

One of mine got scale rot from staying in a humid hide too long. She just seemed to prefer it to her usual hides so I left it with her after she shed. My bad really - I should have either changed the substrate inside the box more regularly, and/or let it dry out and stopped re-wetting it. As it was, there was a bacterial build-up which caused the scale rot. Took a couple of months to sort out and I had a very miserable non-eating snake on my hands while I worked on it.

I now only use them for laying or if I think a shed's been a problem.

They should only be used if your corn is having shedding problems like retained shed or the tank is not humid enough

however the humid box should be used prior to snakey going blue, and certainly should not be left there long periods of time, because as someone already said, build up of bacteria etc, and if you use aspen then this can get soaked and also promote bacteria gowth

:awcrap: I'm so glad you asked this... my little normal loves her humid hide at all times - I guess I need to get it the heck out of there (after she finishes her current shed). So do you just stick it in there a few days before they normally go into blue? I only have a few shed records for her... (just since I got her). Should I just get rid of them completely and mist the tank near shed time (or try the towel method)? Her first shed was *terrible* which is why I started the humid hide thing... If I do take them out, what is the appropriate tank humidity for shed time?

Thanks, you guys rock.

I put it the humid hide in there once I see them go blue, and leave it until they shed. Predicting a shed isn't an exact science as it's affected by how fast they grow - and that can be affected by a range of factors. Even my adults still aren't exactly predictable.

I prefer humid hides to misting. With misting, the entire environment gets damp and the snake can't escape it. With a humid hide, they have that damper environment to choose, if they need it. Normally, a Corn going through a bad shed will choose to use the hide as long as it feels secure to them.

Having said that, plenty of folks do mist and it works fine. You just have to try and figure out what works best for you and your snake.

I was wondering, Shes new to me and when I got her, there were shreds of skin all in her little critter carrier home (I fear she wasn't cared for very well) from more than one previous sheds. She hasn't left it. Shes showing signs of dehydration though so I might leave it in for today and take it out tonight after work. And as I'm typing, the thought hit me that maybe that's why she likes it in there?!?? Should I offer a replica hide but dry? ....hmmm could this be another example, perhaps, of me being overly concerned lol?

You could certainly try the humid hide dry and see if it's just a preference.

When they get dehydrated, they tend to look sort of "wrinkly". Sometimes their eyes get sunken if it's very severe. Is this what you're seeing, that makes you think she's dehydrated?

Her skin is folding out when she bends and sometimes when she wasn't bending...it has lessened a bit today from what I can tell...I'm not quite sure if its the new home and what I hope is proper husbandry, or the hide that's been helping...but I'm happy lol

What kind of moss do you use for the humid hide? Both of our boys have only shed once since getting them as they are new...

I've used them before and they definitely do the job. Only downside is that they flatten quite fast and the snakes can't burrow in them, but this doesn't seem to be a major factor for my lot.

Paper towels dry out faster than vermiculite or moss, but then from my experience, changing them frequently is probably a plus.

I didn't shred them just folded them and then wrapped them around my hand and stuffed em in. She's found her way in between them all. Just hapy as a lark lol I put in another one I made exactly the same and she hasn't gone near it...she hasn't been out of the humid hide at all from what I've seen. I'm trying not to mess around to much in there right now...so I don't want to dig her out. Should I just leave it as it is or go on and get her out?

Do you still think she's dehydrated, or does she still have bits of the old shed stuck to her? If so, then I'd leave it with her for a couple more days.

There isn't any shed stuck to her. I haven't seen her in some 20 hours now so I don't know if she's foldy still or not. I was planning on feeding her on the 26th...I'm sure that'd lure her out...maybe snatch it then

I use paper towels as well...kinda crumple them a bit, wet them and stick them in the bowl we use for a humid hide. We only have the hide in when on of the snakes is going into shed, and need it much less now that we've moved from the mesh-top terrarium to sterlite tubs. The tubs have much better humidity, and they all shed cleanly last cycle :)

Got home from work and the silly little thing is out and sittin all curled up on her log...so I stole the hide lol...she looks so good...brighter and prettier than I've seen her. I changed her water and nestled between the back of the glass and the bowel half stickin out of the aspen is the most perfect lil shed I've ever seen! I'm gonna give myself ulscers if I don't stop worrying over nothing lmao. She's doing great so far I can't wait to get a descent meal in her...he's fed her single pinkys her whole life and gave me the 3 he had left...they're 1/2 her size at each widest point...I couldn't get any fuzzies but they did have some really jucy pinks at the pet shop. :D I can't help but be a little proud of her...this grin won't leave my face lol

Back