• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question on types of hides snake feels safe in?

2ndChildhood

Sorry if this is a bit long explanation, but this is an odd question that I didn't see discussed in the other forums. This is my first corn, so limited experience.

I have a year old male, around 100g and 3 ceramic hides. I started out when I got him with a small "cup" shape on the cool side and a small "log" shape that is a full tube (not open at the bottom) on the warm side. He did the typical day on the cool side, digested and pre-shed time in the log.

More recently I have added a larger hide (that he loves) on the warm side on the thought that I would remove the "log" soon since he seems to be outgrowing it. He fits if he folds himself in 3, but sticks out the ends now. He mostly digests in the new one, not the log.

The key situation is that he still spends all of his time in blue in the "log" hide. When it's feeding time and he's pre-shed, I can get him to eat only if I put the hide in his feeding container, he will extend enough of his body out to eat.

My question is: do you think it's a bad idea to remove the "log"? I can imagine that he feels safer in this since I can't lift it off him and can't pry him out of it, he's always been relatively shy of being handled (but getting better). Do I remove it and see how the next shed goes? I'm not finding another hide the same style in a larger size to replace this, I might be able to special order one, but it appears not to be a typical product from the craftsperson.

Thanks for listening, any advice is welcome!

Often times snakes like the security of a small hide... shoot... look at my avatar. They may not always fit and they may not always be "hidden" in the hide. Now... in your situation... either way would be fine. The snake will be able to adjust. I think that the snake will be fine with the small hide, or with out the small hide. No worries... these little things are pretty hardy and are cool with with a lot more than we give them credit for.
Welcome to the fun!

You don't need anything fancy as hides. I've used hanging basket liners from garden stores (less than a pound, made of cardboard and disposable), cardboard shoeboxes (free and disposable), cereal boxes (ditto), cork bark (looks good but a beggar to keep clean) and upturned earthenware flowerpots with the drainage hole made larger as an entrance (easy to clean). I also have plastic foliage on the substrate so that they can feel more secure as they move around. Given the choice, mine generally seem to prefer the flowerpots.

You can use anything that fits the bill as long as it hasn't been in contact with chemicals that would be harmful to snakes e.g. household cleaning sprays, perfumes, deodorant etc.

Generally, Corns like to be able to squeeze themselves in and have as much of their body in contact with the sides as possible - makes them feel secure that not predators can creep up on them. Probably explains why yours is sticking with his favourite log. It shouldn't be too traumatic to replace it. What I usually do with "outgrown" hides, is leave them in and add the new hide(s) - they usually get the message and transfer.

Most anything will work. From egg cartons and cereal boxes, to extravagant custom build ones.
Anything that they thinks keeps you from them. :)

I have a variety of them in with my little guy and he prefers to hide under a piece of cork bark...he has to wedge himself in and he's highly visible so I don't see the appeal, but he seems happy there :)

We have a two year old male who's favorite hide is STILL a papertowel tube... he BARELY fits and has to fold himself several times, but he gets it done. Airenlow, a member here, has a pic of one of his in a Mentos gum container... they find the smallest, weirdest things attractive.

If you search for the thread "Lost and found Jasper" you can see how Jasper managed to disappear into a hollow log hide when he was very small, and I was not able to get him out. To stop that from ever happening again, I sawed the blind limb off the hide. Jasper had outgrown it when he moved into his adult bin, but still loved to hide in it, so I sent it with him. Now, as a 300 gram + adult, he can still cram himself into it!!

Attachments

• Jasper%20Hides%20005cr800.jpg
    Jasper%20Hides%20005cr800.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 81
And here's 400 gram + Ruby in her paper towel tube...Every single snake I have given one of these to uses it.

Attachments

• Ruby%20Meal%20With%20Protection%20007.jpg
    Ruby%20Meal%20With%20Protection%20007.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 82
And if she doesn't want to come out, she isn't coming out!!

Attachments

• Ruby%20Meal%20With%20Protection%20008cr.jpg
    Ruby%20Meal%20With%20Protection%20008cr.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for the replies all!

My husband is the one that is stuck on having "matching furniture", says that if we're only going to have one snake, might as well get a setup that looks nice. (He's coming around to the idea of more snakes..slowly)

I have a difficult time telling when he's getting ready to shed (the snake, not the husband) because he never turns the typical "blue", sometimes his eyes get a little cloudy, the best indication is that he switches to this hide and doesn't come out. I guess he'll figure it out eventually if he doesn't fit.

I resisted the paper towel rolls for years because they are so unnatural, but the snakes love them, so now I am giving each snake one as I use up the paper towels.

Heh, my new baby snake got all of Flash's old hides cause he didn't use them anymore. I started putting an empty tissue box and a paper towel roll in Flash's viv and that's what he likes, either that or he just crawls under the paper towel substrate. I have noticed that he's out A LOT more than he ever used to be, he seems to be quite comfortable to just be out roaming around. I think it helps that he is on top of my dresser so he's gotten real accustomed to the movement and seeing me right up at his viv. So of course the baby snake is on the other dresser, hehe.

I'm gonna have to start throwing in some tp rolls. currently I use half logs, and cut up plastic food containers.

Back