• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Questions about legally owning a corn based on state

Skull_Luv

Hi everyone I am a long time reader around here and this will be my first post in a very long time. First off I want to apologize in advance if this ended up in the wrong area. I was just wondering if there were any Corn owners on site from around Iowa and what would be the legal status when owning them. See I ask because recently I was talking to my apartment roommate that I have been friends with since high school and mentioned how I adored corn snakes and would love to get one once I am able to since our pet friendly apartment complex does not allow snakes (yet I was able to convince them to let me keep Bunnicula my rabbit :rolleyes: )

Anyways back to the story, as I was talking about how I would love to keep a male of any morph for my first she butted in cutting me off (like she has the this annoying tendency to do) stating that it was illegal to keep snakes as pets any more. I looked at her odd and said 'No, you can keep them as pets.' Which sparked an argument with me trying to point out that she was mistaken with her just giving me the whole head nod not listening to a word you are saying thing. I went online to try to actually look up state laws concerning snake ownership since I could have sworn I saw something some where saying you can keep them as long as they were breeder bred and not wild caught.

That piece of info was found about a year ago or so anyways so there is no telling if it had changed over time and I can't find anything similar to it now or I am just looking in the wrong places. Then while I was looking this up she said she heard it back when we were in high school (we graduated in 2010...) and she heard it from a pet store clerk no less. >.<

Anyone want to help me here? Personally I would like help with this not just because I want to educate her properly but for my own use as well. Sorry if this kind of rambled on and made little sense.

Sorry when I mentioned that the apartment was pet friendly I meant as in small to medium dogs and cats mostly with the occasional guinea pig. The pet agreement never mentioned rabbits as accepted or banned so when I brought it up the lady said to consider it a grey area and to bring her on move in day as long as she 'stayed in a cage' lol.. nope. Free run when supervised and the roommate isn't home or maintenance is not planning a visit.

Georgia is the only state that I can think of that you can not own corn snakes of any morph. New Jersey only allows Amelanistic and Lavender morphs.
Most ownership laws fall into limits on size, indigenous species, venomous or endangered animals. I don't believe IA, as a state, has laws banning corn snakes but you might need to check the individual municipality in which you live. Many individual cities or counties have stricter laws than the state as a whole. I also think there is an entire forum on Fauna dealing with state and federal laws regarding reptiles and amphibians.

Terri

Back