• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

quick question about blizzards

limey

hi i am a cornsnakeoholic
I have mated my female blizzard to my ghost motley this year and have been eagerly awaiting the offspring - i was expecting all normals but i have a 60/40 split of normals to anery. MY question is does this mean that the male ghost motley is carrying type b anerytherism or is it possible for the blizzard female to be het for type a anerytherism ? (i was under the impression that a blizzard woudl not be carring type A anerytherism or else it would'nt be a blizzard it woudl be an anery A - phenotypical)

If you could help me out that woudl be great :), it just seems a little to conveniant for my breeding program that the male could be het type b.

limey said:
I have mated my female blizzard to my ghost motley this year and have been eagerly awaiting the offspring - i was expecting all normals but i have a 60/40 split of normals to anery. MY question is does this mean that the male ghost motley is carrying type b anerytherism or is it possible for the blizzard female to be het for type a anerytherism ? (i was under the impression that a blizzard woudl not be carring type A anerytherism or else it would'nt be a blizzard it woudl be an anery A - phenotypical)

If you could help me out that woudl be great :), it just seems a little to conveniant for my breeding program that the male could be het type b.

Well, let's start off by answering your questions.

It could be that your ghost motley is in fact het for charcoal. It also could mean that your blizzard female is het for anery a. Blizzard is a combo of charcoal and amel, which are independent of anery a. If the snake is het for anery a, that would not make your snake phenotypically anery a.

We can rule out your blizzard being a snow since you got normals in the clutch. That means that either your blizzard is also het for anery a, or your ghost motley is het for charcoal.

If I were bettin' my, my bet would be that your blizzard is also het for anery A.

Where are you trying to go with this project? Are you trying to make blizzard motleys?

Thanks joe
well the project is really for hypo charcoals (if i am unbeliveably lucky motley hypo charcoals), but i was aware that i "may" possibly get a very nice variety of f2 offspring. I just was'nt sure about the blizzard het for anery a, and i would much rather ask than assume :). I agree that its far more likely that that the blizzard is het for anery a, and off course thers no way of actually telling for a few years :) if ever with hets that are produced from blizzard to ghost motley. (well i guess it depends on how nice murphys law is behaving and how many offspring you get -and more importantly how smart with the genetics thing you are :)).
I do have to say though that the anery offspring dont look like typical anery a's but then i dont have any deffinate anery a's to compare them to till the 6/7th of july. Hopefully that will shed a bit more light on the project. I might just have to get some photos up here for an inspection, maybe poeple wiht more dealings with anery type b babies will be able to identify them as one or the other. Either way it doesnt really matter as i will be keeping all the anery f1 offsring and only selling the normals het for amel/anery a/anery b/hypo /motley.
Thanks again joe

limey said:
Thanks joe
well the project is really for hypo charcoals (if i am unbeliveably lucky motley hypo charcoals), but i was aware that i "may" possibly get a very nice variety of f2 offspring. I just was'nt sure about the blizzard het for anery a, and i would much rather ask than assume :). I agree that its far more likely that that the blizzard is het for anery a, and off course thers no way of actually telling for a few years :) if ever with hets that are produced from blizzard to ghost motley. (well i guess it depends on how nice murphys law is behaving and how many offspring you get -and more importantly how smart with the genetics thing you are :)).
I do have to say though that the anery offspring dont look like typical anery a's but then i dont have any deffinate anery a's to compare them to till the 6/7th of july. Hopefully that will shed a bit more light on the project. I might just have to get some photos up here for an inspection, maybe poeple wiht more dealings with anery type b babies will be able to identify them as one or the other. Either way it doesnt really matter as i will be keeping all the anery f1 offsring and only selling the normals het for amel/anery a/anery b/hypo /motley.
Thanks again joe

Well, if you're looking for phantom (hypo charcoals) or phantom motleys, I'd suggest selling the anerys and keeping the normals. Keeping the anerys is going to guarantee you that no matter what, even if you reach your objective, you're going to have homo anery a, charcoal, ghost, motleys---not just pure phantoms/phantom mots.

Post pictures if you can. That might help out, but I'd assume that you've got anery hatchlings.

Yeah i realise that, but you wouldnt believe how hard it is to get hold of proper type b's in this country and ther just a little more expensive over here than they are there a ghost motley type b is about 150 over here so i am guessing around 250 dollars in rough translation. thats like i say if you can get them.
plus some i have seen for sale just dont look like type b's what so ever - as far as i have seen only type a's as adults have been for sale.

I can see your point about keeping the normals - i might just have to do that after i asccertain(sp?) that the babie's are'nt type b's (which like you said probaly arent)
Ill try and get some photos for tomorrow
thanks again

limey said:
Yeah i realise that, but you wouldnt believe how hard it is to get hold of proper type b's in this country and ther just a little more expensive over here than they are there a ghost motley type b is about 150 over here so i am guessing around 250 dollars in rough translation. thats like i say if you can get them.
plus some i have seen for sale just dont look like type b's what so ever - as far as i have seen only type a's as adults have been for sale.

I can see your point about keeping the normals - i might just have to do that after i asccertain(sp?) that the babie's are'nt type b's (which like you said probaly arent)
Ill try and get some photos for tomorrow
thanks again

There's not too many charcoal mots floating around here, nevermind hypo charcoal mots. As amazingly simple as charcoal mots are---it just seems like nobody has bothered to produce them yet. :shrugs:

Joejr14 said:
Of course, you could just scrap them all and buy a hypo motley adult. :)

Just a hint, what Joe said would be really the best way if you can't even say whether the animals are Anery or Charcoal by now. Think of a big mixed clutch of Anery, Charcoal, HypoAnery, HypoCharcoal and so on...
I would highly recommend to get Anery out of the mix!

Hmm as much as i dont like to sell the anerys i think i might just have too, like you say its bad enough just trying to guess what they are now let alone picking through a large clutch of them :-0,
Mind you i am still going to get some of them homo for anery etc hmm this could drive me nutz a few years down the line, i think i'll reserve my room at the psycology ward now ........... :crazy02: it hurts to just think about it

Hey there Guy,

Sounds like you are having as much fun as I with the olde Anery 'a' syndrome.

With no intention to divert the thread, here is a photo of one of the hatchlings from the het. Pewter pair for you to compare with your clutch.

Incidentally, I agree with the speculation that your Blizzard is het. Anery 'a', it is the most likely scenario.

I was hoping to prove out my het. Pewter male x Blizzard female in '06.........however, I suspect that she may be homo. Anery 'a'..........the interesting part is identifying the Anery 'a' hatchlings from the Charcoal Anerythristic!

I have, easily, identified the two Phantoms in this clutch. Excellent idea to go with the creation of Phantom Motleys, best of luck.

Last edited:
I seem to remmeber the discussion we had back then when you hatched last years anery "somethings" involving your het pewter from phillip draper. How have they come along ? be interesting to see. And that baby looks very similar to the ones i have at home, so i suspect they are anery A's, well i'll wait till they shed next week and posta picture you never know i many have been luckier than anyone deserves :)

Joejr14 said:
There's not too many charcoal mots floating around here, nevermind hypo charcoal mots. As amazingly simple as charcoal mots are---it just seems like nobody has bothered to produce them yet. :shrugs:

Now I wouldn't say THAT, Joe...... ;)

charcoalmotley001.jpg

Well, last years Anery 'somethings' have matured rather well.

Here is a male @ approx. 3months

Same individual, photo taken a couple of days ago.

& a ventral shot (this requires a concentrated effort)

A Ghost sibling

ha, ha..........you should know better than encourage me to post pictures!

Yes, I do hope that you are pleased with your breeding. I have no complaints on the selection that I have from both the '04 trial clutch & this years het. Pewter matings.

Have fun figuring them out!

Beautiful Charcoal Motley, Rich.

Rich Z said:
Now I wouldn't say THAT, Joe...... ;)

charcoalmotley001.jpg

Well of course you have them!!! What in the world DON'T you have? :)

Any idea when you're going to have them for sale?

no doubt! when are we going to start seeing charcoal motleys on your for sale list Rich?

i've often thought about getting a male phantom and a female hypo motley to try to create phantom motleys. i'd also get a female blizzard just to get hypo blizzards-just to see what they may look like.

I only have a few of them, and they aren't particularly high on my priority list. Matter of fact, I'm not even certain I will produce any this season. I may have already sold off the adults that produced them. I think I even produced a couple of Blizzard Motleys last year. I'm hanging on to them, but I think it is a pretty useless genetic combination to work with, in my opinion.

Back