• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Quiz: Who are the parents?

Shaky

Ought to know better
The following images are animals from one clutch.
Multiple brownie points to anyone who can guess the morphs of mom and dad.
Hint #1 - these yearlings are quad hets.

Attachments

• corns1.jpg
    corns1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 161
  • corns2.jpg
    corns2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 161
  • corns3.jpg
    corns3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 162
  • corns4.jpg
    corns4.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 162
No just realised how illogical that is!!

A hypo and a het hypo with some bit of miami thrown in there is what I meant!

Well, I am along the lines of Serps. My thought when I looked at them was a hypo miami X something with butter and motley.

CornCrazy said:
I guess parents were an amber x amel motley.
OR an amber motley x Amel ;)

OR a Butter motley x Hypo

Or a hypo motley x Butter.

OR a motley x golddust

OR maybe its a trundlefart x Bonnie-bee-blue

who knows...could be a hundred different combos :p

ok, ok

I realize that this was an impossible quiz to pass.
The parents were a snow crossed with an amber. I had no idea that either was het for anyth8ing else, but it looks like they were both het for miami phase (if that's really possible), and maybe motley, too.
The snow was definitely het for hypo.

Shaky said:
I realize that this was an impossible quiz to pass.
The parents were a snow crossed with an amber. I had no idea that either was het for anyth8ing else, but it looks like they were both het for miami phase (if that's really possible), and maybe motley, too.
The snow was definitely het for hypo.

Nope, there's no such thing as het miami. Miami is a color phase of normal, just like okeetee, regardless of people and their locality debate.

Well, I realize that, Joe, but a female I had was a plain old normal, but every baby she spit out was full-on Miami, so there has to be some way to say it. Het for Miami may not be right, but I know no other way.

Shaky said:
Well, I realize that, Joe, but a female I had was a plain old normal, but every baby she spit out was full-on Miami, so there has to be some way to say it. Het for Miami may not be right, but I know no other way.

I wouldn't say that. Since miami is just a look (or locality--whatever you want to define it is) and since miami-phase is simply a normal with a silverish/tan base color and red saddles. It's quite possible to pair up a snow and a lavender and your resulting offspring pop up looking like okeetees, or miamis. It happens all the time. It doesn't necessarily mean that there's miami or okeetee blood in the snakes.

IMO, it doesn't really matter. Most okeetee and miamis are sold due to their look, not their locality or bloodline.

:shrugs:

So, you're saying if one snake in a clutch snake pops out looking Miami, it can still be sold as a Miami.
However, that way seems to preclude a Miami parent having all Miami babies, since its not "necessarily" genetic.
Personally, I think its got to be genetic. Possibly a multi-gene combination that has to match up correctly.

Shaky said:
So, you're saying if one snake in a clutch snake pops out looking Miami, it can still be sold as a Miami.

Absolutely.

Shaky said:
However, that way seems to preclude a Miami parent having all Miami babies, since its not "necessarily" genetic.

Miami parents do not always have Miami looking offspring. Just like candy cane x candy cane do not always give candy cane offspring.

Shaky said:
Personally, I think its got to be genetic. Possibly a multi-gene combination that has to match up correctly.

Perhaps it's something lining up correctly, but it's not a simple recessive trait since a miami is actually a normal. The same goes for candy canes. There is no genetic difference between a candy cane and a regular run of the mill amel, but they sure look different. Sometimes ugly amel x ugly amel make some incredible reverse okeetees. Would you not sell those as such since the parents were not reverse okeetes?

Sure, I see your point.
I'm not arguing that at all. Miami is not recessive trait, but I think its genetic in some way.
Its probably a real crap-shoot for the genes to line up correctly for a special "look", but it still has to be a genetic combination.
All I'm saying is that some animals can have a genetic pre-disposition to throw babies with a certain characteristic.

Shaky said:
All I'm saying is that some animals can have a genetic pre-disposition to throw babies with a certain characteristic.
This is true, but it isn't what het means. If they're het for miami then all kingsnakes are het for jungle corn. ;)

Joejr14 said:
Sometimes ugly amel x ugly amel make some incredible reverse okeetees. Would you not sell those as such since the parents were not reverse okeetes?

There's someone around here selling a hatchling as a sunglow and I wrote(as politely as possible) to her that sunglows don't have white on their backs and her one in particular was almost reverse Okeetee down towards the tail end. She replied that both of the parents are sunglows so the baby is a sunglow...anywayz, long story short...she's calling her normal amel/borderline reverse Okeetee a sunglow and sticking to her guns....That's just the way the earth turns.

OK, so,...

Back to what I said before: I know no better way to say it.
Is there one?

How 'bout this:
I have a female with the genetic predisposition to bear Miami-looking babies.

Boy, that's too much typing when 'het' seems to get the message across.
I'll gladly use a simple term.

Back