• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Rats and mice in the same room?

taxman123

It could be worse!!!
I keep my rats outside and my mice in the garage. I am going to build a rodent room but have been told that you cant have mice and rats in the same room. So before I put them in the same room I thought I would come and ask you pros.
Thank you..

If putting your mice and rats is the same room is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Uh oh. I need to tell my friend who has his garage filled to the top with rodents about this... lol

How strange! I've never heard of such a thing! You need to find whoever you heard that from and ask them why. :)

Yeah, whoever told you that was wrong. Maybe they meant that you can't have mice and rats in the same cage? Rats will fight with and kill mice if put together.

Underground rat/mice fights. $6 entry. Place your bids on how long you think the mouse will last and we, the owners of this opperation, get 25% of the winnings.

Just joking.

I have mice, asf's, a gerbil and hamsters in the same room!! Oh no! I think the big hamster could take them all on!! The gerbil is pretty agile...

As long as they are in their own cages and don't get to "play" together you should have no problems.

The guy who told me breeds rats and maybe he just didnt want me breeding more rats so I could keep buying them from him when I needed.

I do have a lil male mouse that is mean I think he might be able to take a rat lol. he is the only mouse whoever bit me. You open up his bin and he puffs up and defends his females. I got $20 on him..

Actually contray to popular belief, I hear this all the time. I have my rats and mice in the same area in the mouse house. Since introducing the rats into the enviroment I have noticed a decrease in mouse production. And in nature rats will eat mice and raid their nest... So there may be some basis for this theory.

However, now saying this, the mice and rats still breed and show very little signs of stress. Go figure....

I don't breed feeders. But but I have had mice, rats and hamsters all in the same room when I had them as pets. I still have hamsters. They are also in the same room as two of my snakes. No one seems to even notice the other exists.

yup

Actually contray to popular belief, I hear this all the time. I have my rats and mice in the same area in the mouse house. Since introducing the rats into the enviroment I have noticed a decrease in mouse production. And in nature rats will eat mice and raid their nest... So there may be some basis for this theory.

However, now saying this, the mice and rats still breed and show very little signs of stress. Go figure....

Yeah i use to raise just mice back in michigan cuz rats where not big up there and after a couple years i got into selling to the zoos and other places and when i brought in my rats my mice production went to . they started having smaller size litters and some even ate there babys and i got that from some that never ate there baby before. so if u are just rasing for ur self then it wont be that big off a deal but if u are going to be a breeder and sell them then you might want to think on getting different rooms for them. i got mine right now together and they get along and i get pretty good size litters. but i got all my mice from someone that had them in the same room since they where born. i dont know if that makes any different.

Thats what I was worried about losing production. I know how sensitive mice are it gets to hot they dont breed to cold they dont breed. I want to keep them breeding good so maybe I will separate them. thanks

Back