• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Reader's Digest article: a huge middle finger to all exotic owners

Teddy Roosevelt

i loev cronsankes
I was in the dentist office the other day and because I was bored out of my brains I read a copy of Reader's Digest. In it was an article about the pet trade. It ranted about how exotic animals basically translates to "wild" animals that are out to sneak from your neighbor's house to yours for the sole purpose of killing your whole family. It cited the chimp who tore it's owners face off, and the python that (allegedly) constricted the toddler in Florida; extreme cases of an animal too uncontrollable and unpredictable to be a pet to begin with and an animal that was improperly housed, if it WAS the culprit, respectively. It urged readers to report anyone with "wild" pets (anything other than a cat or dog, it seems) lest they kill your entire street, one by one. It also claims that the buying and selling of exotic animals is a "black market" rather than a perfectly legal exchange of merchandise. I wish I could find the article online for you all, since I'm sure you LOVE it, but all I can seem to locate is a blog post by the artist of the graphic in the article.
http://danielhertzberg.blogspot.com/2010/02/readers-digest-pets-gone-wild.html

Even ignoring the fact that "exotic" pets include such people-eaters as mice, birds, and fish, what an absolutely insane article. It REEKS of that old lady next door who's always peering over the wall between your houses to see what you're doing and threatening to call the cops at the drop of a hat.

Good Lord, Lexie. I followed the link to the art.

The artwork speaks for itself,...and the article too, I'm sure. Kwrayzeeeeeee.

Not going to bother with reading it. Why? Because it's a waste of time for someone like me who is actually intelligent. Every time I come across one of these things that makes exotic pets and their owners look like I freaks I roll my eyes and move along.

The problem is that there are too many sheep out there. Willing to follow and believe everything they read. Which is why we must do something to try and put the correct information out there.

I tried to post a response to the artist, we'll see if it shows up.

"Love the art. Hate the article is was attached to. I wouldn't take pride in putting good art with such an uneducated, inflammatory and biased write up based on fear tactics. You're talent is wasted and tarnished by that ignorant drivel."

I actually liked the artwork. It was very well done. I'd like it on a t-shirt.

The art is very well done, and I completely agree it's wasted on an article. I don't think you'll be convincing him of anything though; he refers to the people in the article as "idiots".

Hey, once... they used snakes for anti-Semitic posters... now they use it against actual snakes... that's a sort of a progress... maybe in the future they won't be used in such a way at all.

Back