• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ready for two pinkies?

azhketh

Hello all! My little hatchling Spyro is around 3 or 4 months old now, and I was wondering if he should still be eating one pinkie per feeding (every four or five days) or if I should start offering him two. He's my first snake, so I'm having some trouble figuring this out just by looking at him. The pinkie seems to be the right size in the first pic, but it doesn't look like it makes that big a bulge in Spyro's body. I have heard of the Munson feeding plan, but that seems to partly depend on the snake's weight, and I don't have a small scale that would work. :rofl: It's so strange having a pet that doesn't need to eat everyday, and that can't really tell you when he's hungry.

Spyro_01-25-08_006.jpg

Spyro_01-25-08_008.jpg

Spyro_01-25-08_011.jpg

I have heard of the Munson feeding plan, but that seems to partly depend on the snake's weight, and I don't have a small scale that would work.

The Munson plan depends entirely on the snakes weight. You really need a scale that will read accurately in grams.

Looking at your picture, and judging by the size on the snake/prey, I would not recommend moving to two pinkies yet. I don't think your snake looks big enough for two.

How long does the lump (from the mouse) stay in your snake? Or in other words how much time elapses after he eats until it looks like he never even ate?

I have a snake that will be 5 months old on Feb 8th and he's definitely ready for two 1 day old pinkies (I don't currently have a bigger size) because I fed him last night and already today I can't even tell that he ate. (Of course it also helps that Don told me he was feeding him 3 day old pinkies).

I believe I read somewhere that if the lump is gone in less than 24 hours that a bigger feeder is definitely in order. Oh yes, just looked it up, I read it in Don's book. He says, and I quote, "24 hours after feeding your corn, if the bulge corresponding to the food item in the stomach is not clearly visible, you may graduate to the next prey size".

I believe I read somewhere that if the lump is gone in less than 24 hours that a bigger feeder is definitely in order. Oh yes, just looked it up, I read it in Don's book. He says, and I quote, "24 hours after feeding your corn, if the bulge corresponding to the food item in the stomach is not clearly visible, you may graduate to the next prey size".

Oh, now that's interesting. I'm not sure if it's still visible, I'll go look (since I fed him yesterday)...yup, I can still see a full tummy. Thanks! That's a more obvious (to me, anyway) sign. I'll remember that.

I may have to get that book, sounds like it would be useful. I've heard of this corn snake expert, Don, but I forget..what's his last name?

And thanks, both of you. Although Spyro is probably a little annoyed now ("Dang it, people, she was gonna give me MORE!" -greedy little hatchling). :rofl:

Oh, I guess I can't edit my own post? heh..

Just looked on amazon, Corn Snakes in Captivity (Professional Breeders Series) by Don Soderberg. That's the Don you mentioned, right?

Oh, I guess I can't edit my own post? heh..

Just looked on amazon, Corn Snakes in Captivity (Professional Breeders Series) by Don Soderberg. That's the Don you mentioned, right?

Yes, that's the one. I've found it very helpful. I bought it right off his website since that's where I bought my baby Abbott's Okeetee. http://www.cornsnakes.net

Go to his web site and get his phone number. Call him and them him you want a copy of the book and that Wade said he would autograph it for you.

Back