• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

rescue animal

doovoo

Inconsequential.
I had this animal 'up for grabs' last week with no takers, so I've decided to hang on to him for the time being.

He was adopted (by me) from a local animal shelter here in Vegas, and they had no info on him whatsoever. The person that dropped him off claimed that he was found in a field (which is possible, I suppose) though he's obviously an 'import'.

To my eyes and experience, he appears to be pure corn (Miami).

He's shed since I'd taken these pics, and is now a nice buff/grey, with bright orange saddles. Wonderful temperament, and a voracious feeder.

Anyway, I'm curious to know what insight and opinions others may have with regard to the positive identification of this fellow.

Thanks!

Trevor

Attachments

• rescueanimal5.jpg
    rescueanimal5.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 162
  • rescueanimal6.jpg
    rescueanimal6.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 161
  • rescueanimal7.jpg
    rescueanimal7.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 161
Hello fellow Vegas person :) If I would've seen your thread I would've taken him :) It doesn't appear to be pure corn to me. And it also doesn't really look like any of the native colubrid snakes in our area. I would love to see some post shed pics to get a better look at him..

Corns and their ilk aren't native to Nevada, so it's clear that this was merely an unwanted pet. Likely that was a BS story anyway (being found in a field).

That said, what about his appearance leads you to conclude that he's not pure corn? His coloration, or...?

If you've never seen a 'wild type' Miami, this guy is quite similar many that I've seen displayed here and elsewhere.

I'm curious to know what others might opine on the matter.

I have seen one WC Miami corn once that had the dark coloration like yours. The head and the patterning seem a bit off to be a corn but I am not 100% positive, thats why I would like to see more pics post shed. I don't believe the found in the field story either, probably too ashamed to admit they dont want want their pet anymore :( And while we do not have corn snakes here we do have plenty of Colubrids that are native to our area. If it isn't a corn I would say its some sort of rat snake still.. Can you post more pics please :D

I have no additional pictures to offer for the time being. The camera utilized was a loaner, and I'll need to make a plea with it's owner to borrow it again.

There are no (to my knowledge) species of Rat Snake native to the state of Nevada.

Someone please correct me on this point if I am mistaken.

There was another animal surrendered by the same individual (likewise adopted by myself) that is clearly an intergrade - appearing to be a Corn x Everglades Rat.

Pics of the other rescue animal.

Attachments

• rescueanimal1.jpg
    rescueanimal1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 147
  • rescueanimal2.jpg
    rescueanimal2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 148
  • rescueanimal3.jpg
    rescueanimal3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 147
Yes, I've seen some pics of wild corns that are very dark, and his "racing stripes" are extremely prominent. It's the fact that his ground color sort of looks darker than the saddles is what's giving him that possible intergrade appearance. When you can get around to it, good clear close-ups of his head would be terrific to help possibly determine if he's an intergrade or not.

Last edited:
These are the native colubrid snakes to our area...
Desert Glossy Snake
Mojave shovel nosed snake
Western Yellow bellied Racer
Regal ringneck Snake
Night snake
California King Snake
Sonoran Mtn. Kingsnake
Red Coachwhip (Red Racer)
Striped Whipsnake
Western Leaf Nose Snake
Great Basin Gopher Snake
Western Long Nose Snake
Mojave Patch Nose Snake
Ground Snake -- I have one of these as a rescue hes so cute and tiny
Southwestern Black headed Snake
Wandering garter Snake
Lyre Snake
These are all in the colubrid family but I dont know if you would call them ratsnakes, would they??? All of these can be found in the Southern Nevada area. Would be fun to go on a herping trip sometime when the weather is warmer.
The rescue snakes definately have corn bellies. They look very skinny, its amazing how people can starve animals that they only have to feed once a week. You did a great thing by rescuing them from the shelter as they don't know much about snake care either..

That first snake is NEAT...Congrats on the rescues, and I think keeping the first one was a wise decision, it's an eye-catcher :cheers:

That first snake looks a bit like a golden corn. The golden corn thread is buried somewhere now, but i'll try and find it for you.

looks like the chicken (corn)snakes i used to catch on my grandpas farm in Tennessee. nearly identical. good ole red rat.

Hello fellow Vegas person :) If I would've seen your thread I would've taken him :)

Hahah, I'm with you on that one. He's quite the looker, even if he does turn out to be a hybrid. I don't know though, he strikes me as a pure corn for some reason. While he appears to have a few hybrid markers, there are none that couldn't be explained by being wild caught. I also support the Golden comment, it looks very similar.

If you walk into your snake room and just can stand to look at that disgusting snake anymore, send him down here and I'll save you the sight... :D

I don't live in Las Vegas.. But not to far eithier.. 130 miles give or take a few miles..

I was very tempted to offer to take the one you kept.. The pictures are not very clear, but it looks to be of a likeness of a Miami.. Lots of melanine wash.. If I was a little closer to you, I might have offered to take a few pictures for you..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Here is another few pics of the dark one in the first pics. I can see his cornyness now lol. His head just looked long to me and I couldn't really see the patterning well in the first pictures. Doovoo was nice enough to drive these guys across town to me today, thank you Doovoo.. :) I will get more pics of the 2nd snake after shes done with her shed.
So what do you all think?? Dark Miami??
100_4151.jpg

Headshot...
100_4152.jpg

He has a weird split belly pattern..
100_4155.jpg

Mountain Corn

Looks similar to the corns we see in the mountains of NC. Here is a pic of one I got from the Black Mountains near Burnsville, NC. Very dark natural corn snakes, at least superficially IMHO.

Attachments

• Blk_mnt_corn.jpg
    Blk_mnt_corn.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 57
  • NC Corn_1.jpg
    NC Corn_1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 56
Oh wow they are extremely similar.. They are beautiful. I think they should be line bred..They look so metallic.. Do they have split belly scales like this guy??

Here is a picture of the other snake freshly shed.. He looks very corn but has a very long body and a longer head.. What do you think?
100_4156.jpg

Likely a Corn

It looks to be pure corn to me, but I am definitely not an expert. With so many differnet genetic morphs, it is really hard to tell what influences it may have. Now days, you never really no unless you produced it and know what the parent's genetic make up is.

That is one thing I like about having a few non morph corns, you can use the m to outcross and see what you have for hidden genes.

Back