• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ridley, 2013 Black Milksnake progression thread

HVani

I can't believe I didn't have one of these! Luckily he's only shed a few times so it's nice and early still.

Here's the day I got him
ridley3_zps501c803e.jpg

rids_zpscbde2701.jpg

ridley1_zpse2b23e24.jpg

ridley3_zps501c803e.jpg

bellyshot_zpsac134891.jpg

I don't know if a mod can move this or not

ANyway I'm pretty behind on progression shots.

He has been growing VERY fast lately. He just shed today so I got a few more pictures. He's not the little 38g snake I got back in September

From I think 3 sheds ago

IMG_0015_zps683b0734.jpg

IMG_0016_zpse6c6a4d6.jpg

And this is after today's shed

IMG_0180_zps54a93005.jpg

IMG_0182_zpsc829d69a.jpg

IMG_0183_zpse3f70749.jpg

Very nice! He is losing that baby look for sure. I will have to take my black milk out for pictures next time he sheds. It seems like he's in shed a lot!

I've got 2 of these, and it is/was interesting to watch their progression. One of mine went completely black fairly quickly. The other one took a couple years to get completely black. Both from San Antonio zoo line.

Well I was gonna get everyone's picture outside today but it's been raining and overcast. So Ridley got his picture taken by the window

He is 167g today, he's a lot bigger than the little 38g baby I brought home almost a year ago. He's also been calming down a lot. He noticeably more calm but still can be a little jumpy. Thank God the poop slinging stage is over.

dark3_zpsb860539b.jpg

dark1_zps3a51c693.jpg

dark2_zpsc9d70e39.jpg

Of course I go to take Ridley's picture and he's in blue. Oh well.

He's almost totally black.

novridley_zps0b00e7ec.jpg

novridley2_zps88ebe677.jpg

So jealous! Very nice snake. Hope I can find one someday.

Some days I want to give him away lol. I have to approach him differently than all my other snakes. He stills seems convinced I want to eat him, he's not smart lol. He's getting better but can be frustrating at time. Lately he's been pretty calm but I'm not sure if he's finally growing out of his jumpiness or if it's just colder. We'll see how he is in the spring.

I cannot wait until mine is all black! He is very dark but still has faint red bands. No yellow any more.

Mine is so calm! I hope yours chills out soon.

Thanks :) Once he sheds I will get some new pictures. Once they start turning dark it goes pretty quick. He's over a year old and isn't far from being totally black. He still has red on his belly and a little bit of a yellow head stripe.

He's not that bad to deal with, just different from my other snakes. Getting him out of his tank then spending a few minutes calming him down are the hardest part. At least he's not a poop slinger anymore, though he did musk me about 6 months ago.

Once he's out and settled, he's must better to deal with. He seems to suddenly remember that no one is going to eat him and he calms down. Then he's actually quite enjoyable. Sometimes I just don't feel like getting him out because I don't want to deal with his tantrums.

Thanks :) Once he sheds I will get some new pictures. Once they start turning dark it goes pretty quick. He's over a year old and isn't far from being totally black. He still has red on his belly and a little bit of a yellow head stripe.

He's not that bad to deal with, just different from my other snakes. Getting him out of his tank then spending a few minutes calming him down are the hardest part. At least he's not a poop slinger anymore, though he did musk me about 6 months ago.

Once he's out and settled, he's must better to deal with. He seems to suddenly remember that no one is going to eat him and he calms down. Then he's actually quite enjoyable. Sometimes I just don't feel like getting him out because I don't want to deal with his tantrums.
Sounds like the same temperament as the hondos I used to keep... Boy were they flighty

It's weird because everyone else that I have talked to about black milksnakes say that they are so calm. Mine has never musked, never bit, never flung himself around.

Back