• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scale issue?

azhketh

I wasn't sure how to describe it so I tried to take a couple pictures, these were the best I could do. It kinda looks like a thin top layer of the scale is peeling up. What is this, should I be concerned? Is it just remnants of his last shed (March 11th)?

120_0086.jpg

120_0094.jpg

I checked a couple of my adults and I see that same thing on one. I am not sure if it is something that is a potential problem. I am wondering if it is something to do with the dry weather? Not sure! It doesn't seem to be a problem. Maybe you should check your humidity. That is what I am gonna do.

Good Luck

Wayne

Is your viv set up in any way that the snake would move backwards...seriously...like suddenly jerking its neck and head back inside a hide that has rough edges?
Anyhoo, there are various commercial brands of shed assisting moisturizers, that also serve to condition dry skin between sheds. I like to keep a couple of those spritzers around.

My texas rat snake had that problem for a long time. I forgot to take into account that he lived in a very moist region of Canada since he was hatched. And it is much dryer here. So I just upped his humidity levels and he has been fine since!

On second thought...it looks like a little more than the first layer is coming off on your snake, just from what I see. I am no expert but try to up your humidity levels and good luck!

I am wondering if it is something to do with the dry weather? Not sure! It doesn't seem to be a problem.

Well, he's never had problems before, but there's a first time for everything. I live in Texas, so it is pretty dry out here. I sometimes mist the tank a little when it looks like Spyro's about to shed, but I don't always see when it's about to happen, he surprises me sometimes. :rofl:

Is your viv set up in any way that the snake would move backwards...seriously...like suddenly jerking its neck and head back inside a hide that has rough edges?

I don't think so, nothing seems to have rough edges, to me anyway..

I'll try misting a little more often and see if that helps. If not, might try out one of those moisturizers vetusvates mentioned. Probably good to have on hand anyway just as a precaution.

Back