• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scale less Corns anyone?

Man alive. That photo makes my skin crawl, in the same way that fur-less dogs and cats do. Personal opinion only, but - yeugh! :eek:

WOW! That is an awesome snake. I've seen the scaleless bulls/pines and some scaleless puff adders....but a corn....WOW!

Looks 100% hybrid to me. Not just the fact that it has no scales, it's colours are all wrong for a normal (or any other pure corn I have seen) and its head is the wrong shape.

One more time - 100% Corn - No hybrid...Their heads are not the wrong shape...The colors look weird because they have no scales - Same goes for the shape of their head...

What morph is that one in the original picture?

How does the mutation behave - dominant, recessive?

Do specific adaptations have to be made for these snakes for them to live safely?

Is it completely scaleless, or do residual scales remain? Does its belly have scales? Vent area?

The Corn in the pic is a normal...Recessive trait...

No thanks, I prefer to see data rather then listen to it. ;)

That's a shame - You could ahve heard the "data" straight from the horses mouth...

I'm not going to lie - I like the way it looks.

However I do want to see some facts from the breeder - in his own words on the snakes themselves as to how well they survive. I wouldn't want to have a snake that never had a healthy happy life just because it looked different.

Once again - Get the info from the horses mouth - Last 10-15 minutes of last Saturday nights www.blogtalkradio.com/reptileradio

WOW! That is an awesome snake. I've seen the scaleless bulls/pines and some scaleless puff adders....but a corn....WOW!

That's what I think too...

To be honest - I figured a few people would give me flake but dead gum...To each their own...Now I remember why I lurk and don't post...LOL...Thanks for all the opinions and good luck to everybody with their projects...
BT

Hairless and scaleless animals always bring up strong feelings in people - you either love them or hate them!

I personally think from those photos that snake looks amazing, but I'd be reluctant to be positive about it or buy one until I had satisfied myself there were no welfare issues for the snake.

How long have these been in existance? You mention they eat, feed, reproduce fine ... how old is the oldest naked corn? Does it have scarring or similar from "everyday life", like naked rats/cats/dogs tend to get?

I've seen some scaleless TX rats in person, and they're kind of cool looking, but kind of disturbing too. It's nothing I have any interest in dealing with. One fear I have is the mutant gene entering the general captive genepool.

Sorry BT, I've always thought scaleless snakes were cool and I'm very glad you posted this. It's a shame so many people are quick to call an animal a hybrid just because it looks different-it's rumors like that which can hurt a breeder's reputation even if their animals are 100% pure. There were plenty of morphs that tended to be problem feeders originally (just as one example), so I don't know why everyone is so interested in focusing on the potential negatives of this trait as if no other new morphs came with issues to work out. I know I'd be interested in owning a scaleless corn, though I expect they'll command a very high price for quite some time.

They look interesting, but I would also worry about the animal hurting itself easily. It would be stressful to own an animal that could easily get hurt, IMO. That would be my only worry.

Thanks god that snakes can`t screm. :eek1:
somewhere should be the frontier for specific breed. :uhoh:
In my opinion is it cruel breed I hope nobody will start with it in europe especially in germany :bowdown:

Cannot understand, what people find "cool" oder good about scaleless... i only think, what a poor creature... cannot believe, that shes happy without scales.
Hope also, that such mutations never come to us, and hope too, the breeder thinks twice about it.

We should not do anything, we can do, only because we can do it!

Yikes, everyone's sure being mean.

I think it's a cool new thing, very interesting and pretty! I'd love to touch one!

I've seen some scaleless TX rats in person, and they're kind of cool looking, but kind of disturbing too. It's nothing I have any interest in dealing with. One fear I have is the mutant gene entering the general captive genepool.

It would become like Stargazing, IMO. It's out there and it pops up in some unexpected places when people have unknown hets. In both cases, is it unhealthy or just different?

It'll be interesting to see this "naked snake" project progess. Sometimes new things like this take off, other times they shrivel into history because it's viewed as more flaw than fantastic.

I also would like to see an article written either by Brian or someone who has the data from the project. Most people want written documentation that they can show to others and use as reference material as opposed to 'I heard this guy on the radio, but now I don't remember his name. I think he said something about scaleless snakes..." Talk radio doesn't make for credible, reliable reference material. If he wants to reach people in the herp world and bring about meaning discussion then he or someone with the info should approach one of the big magazines.

I'm a little shocked at the number of people saying how cruel it is - for all we know because the snake doesn't have scales the same gene could thicken the skin and make the snake perfectly healthy and fine. And as to the loss of water - some species simply require more humid conditions. You may not like the way it looks but I wouldn't call it cruel until you know more about it.

I'm not gonna say it's cruel or anything like that...but, they sure are ugly without scales. Don't like the scale-less snakes at all...but hey, to each their own.

Yeah, and if they have no eyes or with doublehead or without tongue, unimportant, the health is "fine", and it will eat and so on...
A snake will climbs (and move partially) with their bellyscales - if there are no bellyscales, they cannot climb so good as with.
And a cornsnake should can climb.

Back