• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Small male, larger female

Jessica71

I'm sure this question has been asked before, so forgive me if I'm repeating many previous posts! I did have a look through some recent posts and didn't see an answer.

I have a three year old anery female, about three and a half feet, who produced ten fertile eggs last year (at three feet) with my striped male who is a similar size, producing ten healthy hatchlings. This year I'd like to breed her with my two year old anery striped male who is around 2.5 feet long - she's het for stripe so I'd hope to get anery and anery striped babies. My question is how long should I leave them together? Last year's pairing I wasn't so worried about as they are similar sizes. Should I just put them together on a couple of evenings, or leave them together for a week, or any other suggestions? He's quite shy and has never bred before, whereas she's a very confident snake who's pretty vicious with her f/t mice. Not that I think she'd be vicious with him, but I don't have any experience of this scenario.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - thanks. :)

I'm planning the same kind of breeding ('99 big female hypo het silver queen X '04 small male striped ghost)
Well even though they hadn't shed yet and I knew it was probably too soon I put them together. The male instantly recognized the female was 'a babe' (or snakey equivalent) and started trying to breed but she wanted nothing to do with him yet and other than rebuking his advances by thrashing her tail away when he got too close, it went ok. She's a lot bigger and has a strong feeding response so I was maybe a bit worried how she'd react but she didn't bite him or anything.
I was actually more concerned if my male was old / big enough to know how to breed than anything else - now I know he will not have a problem. Hopefully after she sheds he will 'get lucky'.

As for your question (how long to leave them together) I usually don't like to leave them together any longer than it takes to mate but I think other breeders may do it differently? If they haven't hooked up within a couple of hours I seperate them and try again later.

Back