• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

sry but gotta ask

A het

is another way of saying a recessive trait. Homo is the dominate trait (what the snake shows in looks) and het is the recessive traits (what the snake carries in its genes and can produce in its offspring if bred to another snake with the same traits).
This is an excellent site, by Serpwidgets, to go to to understand a bit about genentics, homozygous and heterozygous traits:
http://serpwidgets.com/cornsnakes/genetics/genetics.html

Well not exactly

Het is short for heterozygous. The opposite would be homozygous. Homozygous means that the genes at a particular locus are the same. An example would be an albino would have two albino genes and would appear to be an albino. Hetrozygous means the genes are not the same. If an animal had a pair of genes where one was albino and the other was normal, the animal would appear to be normal because normal is dominant. Since it has the albino gene you could say the animal is normal hetrozygous for albino.

Re: Well not exactly

wade said:
If an animal had a pair of genes where one was albino and the other was normal, the animal would appear to be normal because normal is dominant. Since it has the albino gene you could say the animal is normal hetrozygous for albino.

UMMM....that is exactly what I said, homo is the dominate and het is the recessive, hence what you see is the dominate or homo gene and what it is carrying is the het or non-dominate, recessive gene.
I don't know why you said 'not exactly'. I made it simple and told him to go to Serp's site to get detailed info.:confused:

gardenmum, you're a little confused...

Homo is NOT the dominant gene. Homozygous means that there are two copies of the same gene. That could mean two copies of the dominant gene, or two copies of the recessive gene; you just need two of the same.

Het, or heterozygous, means that you have two different genes. Typically this means you have one copy of a dominant gene and one copy of a recessive gene, but it can ALSO mean that you have one copy of two -different- codominant genes.

-Kat

Yesss....

Of course...:rolleyes:
That's what happens when you don't take a minute to rethink what you said. Duh!!
I know better than to do write anything when I am pressed for time. :)

And for anyone who's still confused :p ...

Het (heterozygous) could be expressed as Rr (R and r being alleles)

Homozygous would be expressed as RR or rr. The dominant allele is R and recessive is r. hope that everyone understands! :cheers:

Back