• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Still kinda a noob

promethear

This was odd. The yellow corn I got about a year ago is just now big enough to be transitioning to adult mice (only relevant to snake's size). I took him out to feed him. I took him outside for some sun (was thinking about a pic for here). While I was looking a the view, he VERY S L O W L Y nosed my thumb...and bit me. Ok...Not to worry. Let him relax and let go...Nope. Now he is attempting to "walk" his teeth farther up my thumb as if he wants to swallow it. Managed to startled him into letting go. He did eat after that (he's REALLY resistant to stress but I will pay attentin just in case). I was surprised by the behavior though. Not the biting per se but that it was that slow and that it looked like he was trying to eat my thumb (fairly sure that wasnt it...but he IS a weird snake). Any ideas?

Did your finger smell like a rodent, lizard, or anything? My old kingsnake used to do the exact same thing and nothing stopped her from doing it, she just went into feeding mode anytime I had her out no matter what I tried. Since this is a new behavior for your corn (I assume?) it sounds like a feeding response. How often are you feeding and is it leaving a visible lump in the belly for about 36 hours? My best guess though is that he smelled something on you, had you washed your hands before holding?

I had a corn do that after I feed him. I agree with Alicat wash your hands after feeding. or feed him with with thongs. that way the smell is not on your hands.

He just thought you were food. I have never had a corn snake do that to me put one of my milksnakes did when I was hand feeding it. Now I just keep my finger out of the way.

My Cali King is a different story he bits, chews and tries to eat me. No big deal, I just was a snake hook to control his head as he goes into the feeding tub.

I HAD recenty had the frozen mouse out to thaw. I thought of that later. And this week there was no lump (hence the going to upsize from hoppers next feeding). I have never had a sense of smell, si I occasionally forget about this factor.

No worries :) Just make sure to wash up after touching rodents! He didn't mean you any harm.

ROTFLMAO I think you mean tongs. My snake would not apreciate being fed with underwear. I also agree you wash your hands. my bp would try that if you didn't.

No, i use thongs too for feeding. You just make sure the snake sees the mouse, u load the mouse in the front of the thong, pull it back, and catapult it in the snakes mouth. See now your hands aren't anywhere near the the snake so you can't get bitten :D
:rofl:

ROTFLMAO I think you mean tongs. My snake would not apreciate being fed with underwear. I also agree you wash your hands. my bp would try that if you didn't.

Opps. that is what I get for typeing on meds. My cold med makes me kind of loop. LOL

Back