• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Stuck nostril shed help (non-corn)

2ndChildhood

anyone have any advice on removing retained shed in the nostrils?

I have a juvenile carpet python that has a whistle (been to reptile vet: not an RI) and it has gotten noticeably worse since his last shed. I don't see any apparent retained shed around his nostrils, but since the vet visit he really hates having his head restricted and I'm having issues getting a good look.

I'm figuring on soaking him in the bathtub for a bit and then taking Q-tips and a magifying glass to see if I can work any shed off, but I'm looking for other advice if anyone has any experience with this?

Wrestling help?
since he's in the 5' range, any recommendations on how to handle his body once he starts fighting me? I'll have an extra set of hands, but would it be better to bag him up to the neck to limit the amount of leverage he has to pull his head away?

You're gona have to wrangle him a bit to remove a stuck nostril shed. Grab firmly but gently just behind the head, and you can usually tuck the majority of the body underneath the same arm, and apply gentle pressure to keep him in place.

Then I would use a paper towel, soaked in warm water, to gently rub at the nostrils. I wouldn't use a q-tip because the cotton fibers can become entangled in the heat pits and rostral scales.

If you have the head and upper body under control, it shouldn't be too difficult. A 5' python shouldn't be too much for a single person to work with, as long as you have a reasonable amount of experience, and a good grip.

Good Luck!

and a video camera to post the results to youtube?

I didn't even think of the cotton fibers of the q-tip, so I'll definitely use your suggestion.

He's only my third snake, and the largest, so it's really a matter of my inexperience with how firm a grip I can take without hurting him.

Thanks, I'll post how it goes, probably tackle it this weekend.

and a video camera to post the results to youtube?

I didn't even think of the cotton fibers of the q-tip, so I'll definitely use your suggestion.

He's only my third snake, and the largest, so it's really a matter of my inexperience with how firm a grip I can take without hurting him.

Thanks, I'll post how it goes, probably tackle it this weekend.
Oh, it's 5' python. You can grab him pretty good without hurting him. But you don't really need to. Once you get your hands on him, you will feel how much strength you need to use. It's relaly more about finesse and position control than strength.

Good Luck!

I've had to do this with baby corns before. I use a wet paper towel and gently massage the area. I've found that once they realize what I'm doing they don't struggle so much. And baby Corn heads are reaaaaaally hard to see good and work with in general.

I hope you get it off him okay and that once you get started he's more cooperative. Good luck!! :)

Yep, just hold your guy right behind the head tyflier says. If you can get the majority out that's great. I personally wait until the next shed when my ball has that problem (poor guy, never has good sheds..).

Back