• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Substrate yused in your snack rack

tompro019

What kinds of substrate do you use in your snake rack. I have used big aspen chips, But I have some really fine aspen shavings, and I am not sure if it being so fine will make it easier for the snake to accidently digest. What are your thoughts? Thanks..

In my snack rack I generally like starburst, chocolates, granola bars, etc...

In my snake rack, I have used both the chip type aspen and the fine shaving sliver-type. I like the fine shaving sliver-type kind (lucky for me since I can find that the cheapest). I think it holds up better to tunneling.

I use little paper plates to feed. I put the plate in the enclosure, put the pinky on the plate - never had any problems with aspen being swallowed. When dinner's done, I just take the paper plate out and toss it.

Sorry, I can't spell today at all. I appreciate the responses. I just have several adults and I use this fine shavings for the mice I raise, but I can get it pretty cheap for the fine ground up kind. Again, thank you.

I don't know how fine your aspen is, but I usually just dry off the mice really well before feeding. Sometimes I'll lead the snakes over to some cage furniture and they'll eat there, but most of the time they drag them off into some dark abyss.

Well, I can always feed in feeder boxes, I just didn't know if there would be a big chance of getting it when not eating. when just roaming around. or if it got in their water bowl. I am just wondering what it was that other people use. I used to use newspaper, but it didn't hold a scent for more than an hour or so. I know the aspen holds it a lot better.

I use newspaper that has no news print on it. I live in a small town that has a local paper, I get the "end rolls" from them. Works great, plus the kids have fun cutting them to fit the vivs.

Im using aspen mulch bedding, but Im just about out. so next time I have to clean out a viv Im gona use blank newsprint art paper that I got for free.

Sweet Pea the pepp motley has a $55 water bowl...(Portmeirion Botanic Garden)

Eek, I've been out-classed. Mine get porcelain ramekins in a myriad of colors, or Homer Laughlin Fiesta Ware.

Aspen from the Feed Store, cheaper in the 8 cu ft compressed bag.

Feeding cups for hatchlings thru juvies are deli cups in thei vivs.
6 qt shoebox vivs are the adults feeding bins.

I've got aspen in my racks, and my vivs are all being switched to a bioactive substrate (a mixture of all sorts of fabulous things). The ones in the rack will eventually be on the BAS as well, once I finally get their custom awesome viv system thingy built.

No kidding! I fought that for a long time because it was so aesthetically unpleasing, but snakes just love them soooooo much. And babies like cut-up sections of egg carton!

You could always use PVC pipes with the same dimensions. They would be easy to clean too.

Back