• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

substrate

high_voltage

What would be the ideal substrate?I use astro turf. I get a big roll of it from the home depot then i cut a bunch of pieces to fit my
tank.every two weeks i throw it away and put a new one in.the only thing is when i cut it the black backing comes off I brush it out the best i can then put it in.

I have been thinking about aspen but that seems to be a pain
sure it looks good but who cares you never see my snake so why would it matter if i had a good looking tank full of aspen?people come over now and say hey nice rocks oh would you look at that aspen,not for me
oh well i'll decide.how do you spot clean aspen? and is there a better way to spot clean astro turf? I just scrape it up the best i can. thanks BRYAN

where do we start...

Welcome to the forums. We've had tons of polls and stated opinions on the choice of substrate. I actually use turf in three display cages- pretty much everybody else here hates it. Honestly, I dislike it, but it works well for my displays. I put a rock cave, a few branches, and it's the closest thing to a naturalistic set-up I can pull off. If it's your choice of substrate, you're on the right path by having extra pieces cut out for cleaning. Don't worry about spot cleaning. Soak them in extremely hot water with a splash of bleach and let them dry until time to swap them out. Ever notice how they take that giant poop RIGHT after you clean??? You will... :rolleyes:
For my racks and cages, I use plain old newspaper and a place to hide. Some manage to never tunnel through the paper, too! :) Always either in the hide or out and about. I've used aspen, repti-bark, cypress mulch and butcher's paper; but keep going back to newspaper. I like to stack a bunch in my garage (very hot and dry) to age it a bit, it seems more absorbant and in case any inks aren't soy based, it gives them ample time to cure. Again, welcome to the forums and expect 1001 reasons why "turf sucks!" :D
But they are righteous in their indignation, but it works for me for three cages! Do what works for you...

I've tried indoor/outdoor carpet before. I liked it pretty well. I cut several pieces and just washed and disinfected it in between. I don't think it unravels quite as much as astroturf. I don't use it now because I have so many cages. It would be a pain to use it in all of them.

the best substrate is...............
.............. whichever you find works best for your needs.

I use a brand of dust-free organic cat litter. It contains freeze dried corn chips and according to the package is completely free of additives. It looks good, is easy to clean, has no smell and lasts for absolutely ages. Also its easiy digested in case of accidents at feeding time. Most guys round here wouldn`t go for it but i find it works for me and my yearling snow corn.. we`re happy with it so we`re sticking with it....

If you`re finding Astro turf suits your needs then stick with it... if you find its not 100% what you want from a substrate then just read our replies to this post and take your pick from our suggestions :)

PAPER TOWEL

There is nothing better!!!

Cheap, cleans easy, doesn't get in the mouthes, nada!

But whatever you use:

Keep it clean
Keep it fresh
Keep it away from da snakes mouth whilst feeding.:D

Back