• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

temp is 100 F!!!

Mikesnakeares

my baby corn snake tub is 100 F i the hot side and like 90 on the cold side.. the heatpad is on low and i have my windw wide open and its still doesnt see to drop the temp. im scared my snake is gonna die from the heat. and he is always hiding under his water bowl which is on the cold side

Do you have the heat pad running through a thermostat or rheostat? If not, un plug it until you do. "Low" is a relative term.

Turn the heat off!! It is way too hot! Cold side should be in the low 70's hot side 90 max! Put a cold pack under one side of the tank until you get an ac or give it to someone who can properly care for it

Yes turn it off. If you don't have a way of turning down. Then you need to get one. If you do then you need to check it and make sure it is working. Also this time of year, I don't use any heat. In a hot place it is hard even on low to get temps down so I just go with out.

yea but then how would they digest there food. and bryan LOL pretty sure i take him out of his cage everyday and play him for 2 hours ahaah its just cause its so hot in my room

I actually wouldn't take him out of his cage every single day. A few times a week would be alright, but OVER handling can cause some issues in the long term.

They can digest food just fine with temps from 80 to 82 which is where my house sits. However,when it gets cooler the heat goes on. You should really be shooting for the high temp around 85 and if you are not able to do that, it is better to go without heat.

I am not sure who told you that a snake needed to be handled daily to 'stretch their lungs', but I have never heard anything like that before. That's not really the point, though, as it's not the problem you were inquiring about. Those folks up there are giving you really sound advice. Hope you found the info you needed.

It doesn't matter who told you that - no snake has to be handled every day.

Large scale breeders have thousands of snakes in tubs, very often only 1/2 to 2/3 of the snake's length, and they are hardly ever taken out or handled AT ALL.

They live, they eat, they breed, they thrive.

Having to handle them every day is simply spreading false information.

Yea that's for "breeding" I only have one snake. Maybe you should checkup on your corn snake info cause you didn't do a lot of research

I am sure that Nanci will come along and clarify what she meant. But a snake does not need to be held every single day. And I am sure that Nanci doesn't hold each and every snake at her house every day. There are not enough hours in a day for me to hold all of them let alone Nanci. However, I could see that recommended if you didn't have an enclosure big enough.

Last edited:
Yea but most of you guys have a lot of snakes. This is my first snake and I want to make sure that he's healthy and all and I like taking him out and just letting him slide through my fingers

Yea but most of you guys have a lot of snakes. This is my first snake and I want to make sure that he's healthy and all and I like taking him out and just letting him slide through my fingers

Handling your snake after eating can cause regurg. I agree with 'cmalhow' Nanci could not handle every snake everyday. You like letting him slide through your fingers for your pleasure and that is fine, but not everyday.

Yea that's for "breeding" I only have one snake. Maybe you should checkup on your corn snake info cause you didn't do a lot of research

There is nothing wrong with handling your snake daily, aside from after it eats.

BUT, to say it is REQUIRED for the health of the snake, whether you have 1 or 100,000 is bunk. The number of snakes involved has NOTHING to do with their care. I don't understand your argument at all. I have been keeping snakes for over 30 years, so my research is quite extensive.

I am not going to argue with you. You do what you think is best. But, I won't sit by and allow totally false information to be spouted for others to read.

That doesn't lead to anything good. At all.

I actually wouldn't take him out of his cage every single day. A few times a week would be alright, but OVER handling can cause some issues in the long term.

I will disagree. It depends on the individual snake. My first corn would chill with me daily for 2 to 5 hours. He could care less and he was a beast of an eater. My current corns vary. My motley is a lot like my first one and doesn't care what you do, my female anery likes to be left alone most of the time and not be out for more than 30 minutes. Not sure with the lav yet since I just got him.

Back