• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The Basics of Breeding

Labinnah

Hi there!
I'm new at breeding, though a long-time fan of cornsnakes. My absolute favourite morph is blizzard, and as of last night, I now have a beautiful 26" female (bred once early this year) and a 22" male (not bred yet). Both are extremely healthy, active and wonderful snakes... and I'm wanting to know, what's the best way to get these two breeding? They're in seperate enclosures right now, but I have an empty 20 gallon, 29 gallon and 55 gallon tank at my disposal. What's the preferrered substrate, temperature, humidity, hide-box material, etc? How long should it take for them to pair up, or to know when she's gravid?

All tecniques, advice, etc are appreciated, thanks!

Do you have a copy of The Corn Snake Manual? Kathy did a wonderful job detailing the breeding process from start to finish. Keep in mind that corns normally start breeding earlier in the year (Feb-May).

As far as questions on conditions, I recommend a good Barry White CD, candles, a nice mid-range Chardonnay and a little mood lighting. :dancer:

:-offtopic

I noticed that you're in Plano. There is a big show in Austin this weekend if you need something to do. Here's a link: Austin show

whats funny is when I was trying to breed my leos the first year they wouldnt breed and as a joke my mom put on some Barry and they did it lol it was funny as hell

Al Greene works every time.

off topic, isn't 26" kinda small for the female to breed?.....just curious

Last edited:
not really off-topic at all...I personally believe that 26" is too small to breed, and I would recommend waiting until the female reaches a minimum of 36". I know the post states that the female has already been bred once, but breeding young/small is detrimental to health and longevity of the animal.

That and watching a 2 foot snake try to lay eggs is downright frightful. I'm with the last post in waiting for at least 36" for the female to have an easier time passing the eggs and not becoming egg bound.

Back