• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The Egg Watch Continues . . .

That first year with a kitten is non-stop. Then suddenly they decide that slowly surveying the catdom while perched in their favorite spot while you deliver the cat food, is their role in life!

As to 1000 snakes, your not there yet, but you've made a good start, lol.

Words which can only come from a genuine cat owner as opposed to those who just admire them from afar!! It IS obvious that you have experience with them! It's also amazing, the differences between cats & other animals, and though I will try to be more attentive of the fact that this IS a corn snake forum, it's just a testament to the powerful attraction felines command as they seem to infiltrate any conversation that just happens to go on long enough!!!!

BTW, the LAST peeping PIPPIE has just exited its shell, making the total # of hatchlings a whopping 16, 15 of which are snows!!! Not bad, huh?

Yeah, definitely had cats in my other life. I've had more than my share of "kitty moments", lol.

Back to the eggs/hatchlings, that's awesome. First that's a pretty big clutch. Second, that's a lot of hatchlings! Third, that's a potload of snows! Kind of a snakey trifecta.

Of course that makes Kinky all the more special. That little one definitely jumped into a different part of the gene pool! I'm looking forward to more pics of all of them. It's been quite a week in the Axis household. Hope the wife is holding up with 16 baby snakes!

Yeah, definitely had cats in my other life. I've had more than my share of "kitty moments", lol.

Back to the eggs/hatchlings, that's awesome. First that's a pretty big clutch. Second, that's a lot of hatchlings! Third, that's a potload of snows! Kind of a snakey trifecta.

Of course that makes Kinky all the more special. That little one definitely jumped into a different part of the gene pool! I'm looking forward to more pics of all of them. It's been quite a week in the Axis household. Hope the wife is holding up with 16 baby snakes!

Too bad my dolly doesn't share my passion for the little sneaky ones. Gotta credit her for trying, but she's a true ophidiophobe. (Can't have everything, I guess!). Thank goodness for a large apartment with an extra room!!

But speaking of Kinky, it is the only different one that survived, anyway, as I have no way of knowing what was in the eggs that were duds that I didn't have the foresight to open. However, judging by the one I did (posted pix in the "Hell" sub forum), maybe it's better NOT knowing? Don't know but either way, it's too late now! But besides being a different morph, it also has a kinked tail, hence the moniker. Just wonder if the kink and different morph are related?

Either way, can't wait till I get home to see if anyone shed yet and if my package of 100 pinkies from Mack's has arrived!! Though I may wait another week to try to feed those who do shed, to maximize the potential for a successful feed response!!!

Thanx for the acknowledgment Dollysmom!!

You folks are definitely "walkin' in a winter wonderland" what with all the snows!

Yeah, but you wouldn't know it by the mid-90's temps we're having here today!!! I'm hotter than a 3 dollar pistol and it's not even 1pm!!

My Sure has become uncertain! :santa:

Too bad my dolly doesn't share my passion for the little sneaky ones. Gotta credit her for trying, but she's a true ophidiophobe. (Can't have everything, I guess!). Thank goodness for a large apartment with an extra room!!

But speaking of Kinky, it is the only different one that survived, anyway, as I have no way of knowing what was in the eggs that were duds that I didn't have the foresight to open. However, judging by the one I did (posted pix in the "Hell" sub forum), maybe it's better NOT knowing? Don't know but either way, it's too late now! But besides being a different morph, it also has a kinked tail, hence the moniker. Just wonder if the kink and different morph are related?

Either way, can't wait till I get home to see if anyone shed yet and if my package of 100 pinkies from Mack's has arrived!! Though I may wait another week to try to feed those who do shed, to maximize the potential for a successful feed response!!!

Thanx for the acknowledgment Dollysmom!!

You are welcome. Well deserved.

As far as I can tell, no one knows for sure what causes kinks. Some think genetics, and some think temperature. I'm betting it is more than one thing. Little kinks, especially by the tail, cause few if any problems.

Yeah, I haven't gone to Hell yet, lol. I'm not sure why. I really have no idea of what goes on there, lol.

Among other things I have a background in, I have a background in science and am not at all squeamish at things medical or the vagaries of nature. At least not visually. There are certain smells that get me, but as you know, our brains process smell like none of the other senses-- very directly.

I'm sure that the lost eggs are more upsetting on a personal level because you nurtured those eggs. Of course, that one was a goner from the git go. The others that didn't survive, didn't make it for a reason. I've certainly have seen pictures of snake embryos on the web. I think it is fascinating how they develop. Certainly miraculous how such a long noodle fits in such a tiny egg.

Here's my moment of silence for your little ones that didn't make it....................

May they slither on in paradise.

P.S.

This is tangentially appropriate and I just thought you'd get a kick out of it!

http://www.livescience.com/52354-snakes-leg-genes-make-phalluses.html

The way I name my hatchlings, which is of course the best and most well-thought out way, is this:

First initial of sire, first initial of dam, year, underscore, clutch number for that dam (01 or 02), alphabet letter

DM2016_01A DM2016_01B and so on. Then they get a real name often starting with their hatch letter, sometimes with a theme for the whole clutch.

My lava clutch had a fish theme. Anchovy, Bonito, Candiru, Danio, Elver, Fugu, Gobi Guppy, Javelin, Hoki, Killi Kuhli, Lamprey, Mola, Noodle, Opah, Piranha.

Hey!! How ya been??

Hope everyone is OK, especially during this nationwide heatwave which ALWAYS is stressful for me as my body chemistry is almost ALWAYS outta whack and I sweat even during the coldest days of winter!!

Thanx Dollysmom, both for the kind words AND for that extremely informative article on the intracasies of the genetic mechanisms which control limb and hemipenes development in cornsnake DNA!! It was heavy, FAR OUT & right -ON!!! I always appreciate a scientific perspective achieved only through empirical data acquired through ultra-focused research!! Your posts are almost ALWAYS refreshing and, IMO, the reason many people don't get turned-off and why many keep coming back!!!

Also, thank you Nanci for a wonderful suggestion on how to name or label a clutch of new arrivals which includes some great mnemonics which also pay some tribute to the parents of the little squiggly noodles!!! I just may borrow a page from your playbook in the quest to name & track my brood of corny worms!!

Exactly a week and a day after hatching, the first of the flock (not as yet named, of course, but acknowledged anyway), left a PERFECT SHED which was intact and all in one piece when I checked on the family of snows this morning!

Check it out!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 22
Congratulations on the shed! They are moving right along, aren't they?

Thanx! And YES!! If there was a contest for cuteness in a clutch (say THAT five times REALLY fast!!), my little gang would definitely qualify for the competition!! :p

Cute little squiggly noodles! :crazy02:

Hi Axis. That shed is be-yoo-tee-full! Isn't it amazing?

I thought you'd enjoy that article. I find it fascinating. Nature does not waste.

I can imagine that you have your hands full with the little snowy (and stripe) brood. Just be grateful you don't have to change diapers!

...or feed them every 4 hours. And they don't make a sound!

AND I don't have to WALK them! Ha Ha! Very astute observations!! But they DO keep me HOPPIN!!!

Second successful shed just discovered in another of the sneaky one's enclosures.

Most are just hiding now, except for the ones who just shed. Can't offer food yet as my package of 100 pinks is still enroute. However, I am going to try my HARDEST to wait until 1week post-shed as to maximize the little ones' feeding responses. The loss of two hatchlings last year due to their refusal to eat is still fresh on my mind and I'm hoping NONE of this bunch will suffer the same fate!! But we'll see. The two who shed are actually appearing as if they are in hunting mode, so I'm feeling ok about the little noodles so far!! Some pix will follow!!

Second skin shed exactly one week after this particular little sneaky one hatched!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 25
Here's the little one taking a stroll on the perimeter of his enclosure!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 24
Really amazing how small they really are and despite the fact that my fingers look like pork sausages in pix!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 23
I love your pics! So adorable.

Best wishes and be sure to have Nanci's feeding tips handy just in case!

I enjoyed the article. I'd love to see the mouse/snake splices. Of course I love snow babies.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Back