• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

think i found my cannibal......

skelator

well i had 2 females together for my first litters. i had 15 babies total and ended up with 5 that didnt get eaten. so this time i seperated the pregnant one. she had 12 babies and ate every damn one of them. i went to check on them and theres bodies everywhere. im actually pretty pissed. i thought it was the other one but i guess i was wrong.

so shell be snake food i think after that. my first 5 babies are 4 weeks old now so tomorrow i might put them in their own tank. i might put all 3 of my adult females together now aswell. i cant believe she ate every damn one of them.......

What are they? Mice? Rats? If it's a first time Mom, they're known for eating their first litter sometimes. It can take them a bit to get the hang of things.

I have one mouse (who I haven't killed because she became a pet) who has litters of still borns. She rarely ever gets pregnant, and the first time she did, she ate them all, and the next two times I found still borns scattered around the entire tank.

their mice and they all appeared to be moving when i saw them. this was her second litter. if i dont feed her off im gonna leave her with the group from now on. i thought seperating her would make things better but it made things much worse.

How much protine is in their diet? Adding some cat or dog food will help. Also make sure that the water bottles are working. The top 2 reasons litters become food, lack of protine and lack of water.
I have only had one that ate every single litter she had. I gave her 3 chances because I wanted the dominate spotting gene that she had...

Whenever I had one kill their litter, I gave them ONE more chance. If they did it again, they were snake food. This was for mice AND rats, by the way. After about 2 years of this method, I never again had issues in the 5 years I continued breeding, and it wasn't because of more experienced mothers. The offspring turned out to be excellent moms, even with the first litter.

I used the same method to breed the biting out of my stock. If anyone of them bit me for any reason, they were gone. Sounds ruthless, but I was determined to be able to sell my extras as pets if needed, even though I didn't handle the non-breeders very often. It worked out very well in the end. :)

hey everyone thanks for the replies. ive found a local guy i can buy mice off of really cheap. so ive decided to just feed off my mice. i cant raise the mice for the price i can buy them for. plus i dont have to screw around cleaning cages and stuff like that.

Back