• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thinking of breeding in the future

Korrin

I know I'm not nearly ready right now, but I'm planning on getting my second corn, and I'd like to buy with the possibility of breeding in the future.

First, it's not possible to know what hets a hatchling has for sure, right? The only way to know for sure is to breed the snake?
But my best bet at guessing is to know what the parents are?

Anyways, my first cornsnake is a Blizzard, bought from Kathy Love.

So, assuming no hets, unless I breed her with another blizzard snake, all the babies are gonna look like the dad, right?

I'm thinking of getting an amel and/or a pewter, if that makes a difference.
Thanks for any replies.
(and off to work I go now...)

Your Blizzard is a combination of Amel and Charcoal. Charcoal is another name for Anery type B.

Pewter is a diffused Charcoal. If you mate your Blizzard to a Pewter you will get Anery type B or Charcoal babies.

If you breed your Blizzard to an Amel, all of the babies will be amel.

When you get to be my age, you think more about breeding in the past than in the future.

It _is_ possible to know what your snake is het for. Sometimes you know that it is 100% het for something, and sometimes you just know there is a 50% or 66% chance, which would have to be determined through breeding trials.

But if you took your blizzard (amel+charcoal)

and bred her to an amel, you would get all amel babies, which would all carry a het charcoal gene.

Now if you bred her to a pewter, you'd get all charcoal babies, but they would all be 100% het for FIRE!! (amel + bloodred). That would be cooler- I think.

And if you go a step further and get a pewter het amel (het blizzard), you can get both charcoals het amel bloodred and amel het blizzard bloodred.

You're right Nanci, I wasn't thinking straight. :dunce: Obviously any babies my blizzard makes will be 100% het amel and charcoal. (I was thinking more along the lines of normals of unknown parantage... I don't know why...:shrugs:)

Could you explain more about the bloodred gene? I originally thought bloodred was just a corn morph, but going by South Mountain Reptiles (which has so far the biggest list of corn morphs with genetics explenations I've seen. Correct me if there's better! :)) it seems as if "bloodred" is also being used to identify a gene, that I think, diffuses color and makes the corn appear almost all one color? Is that right?
So amel+bloodred would pretty much be a red... bloodred? :dancer:

The term bloodred is being changed to diffused by many breeders. It is a genetic trait. This is a picture of one of my Amel Bloodreds

Attachments

• Corn-Amel Bloodred CB02 Female (Medium).JPG
    Corn-Amel Bloodred CB02 Female (Medium).JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 29
To a lot of people, "diffused" is the name of the gene. "Bloodred" is a term for a high-quality corn with the diffused gene which shows deep red color and almost no pattern.

It gets tricky though. Some people use the term "bloodred" to mean ANY corn with the diffused gene. Not all corns with the diffused gene will lose all of their pattern, meaning a snake listed as a "bloodred" can not always be relied on to have a solid color as an adult.

Addition: Amel diffused (AKA Fire) is a much brighter colored snake. A high-quality bloodred has a nice rich red color. A high quality pewter (charcoal + diffused) will have a uniform silvery grey color.

I'd recommend this site: http://www.iansvivarium.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cornmorphs.html

Back