• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

tips for getting snake to come out of hide during day

Rave

Title says it all

I am currently using a 10 gallon aquarium with an aquarium light that came with it for my viv(I dont know the brand). I don't really trust the big chain pet stores but someone working said that if I buy a special light that my snake will come out during the day more. Since I am upgrading to a 20 gallon soon I had thought about buying what they recommended.
this is what he recomended
"Repti Glo 2.0
Full Spectrum Terrarium Lamp"

My snake is quite active during the night but I never see her during the day. I know this is normal behavior but any advice?

Why would you try to disrupt its natural behaviour?

Snakes are nocturnal, and they have strong hide instinct. Don't buy a snake just to try and change the nature of the animal.

Did you think before you posted this?

Why would you try to disrupt its natural behaviour?
Snakes are nocturnal
Did you think before you posted this?

Yes did you read what I had to say?

I know it goes against their nature, as they are nocturnal, I am not trying to harm or stress out my corn, that being said, if there are such products as lights that make the snake "want" to come out during the day, are these beneficial?
or will they cause stress on your snake?

any good tips?
(humane)

Unfortunately, your Corn can't/shouldn't be encouraged out during the day if they don't display that preference. There aren't any lights on the market designed to do that - the snake would find it stressful. As a Corn in the wild would only come out during periods of low or no sunlight, any type of light in their tank risks making them hide away even more, rather than encouraging them out. Some folks do use lights with their Corns - hopefully they'll be along shortly to offer their experiences.

Some people also find that they have a Corn that likes being active during the day. However, this seems to be an individual preference of the snake and not something that's due to environmental factors. In all the years I've kept Corns, I've not had one that was naturally active much before dusk.

If yours is young, it could still be that it might choose to come out during the day as it grows up. However, this is very much the luck of the draw and would be the exception to the rule.

To encourage it out into the open more, try putting more hides and ground cover (plastic plants are good) into the tank. Ironically, they like to feel hidden away, so if you give them more places to hide they'll feel more confident about moving around and you might very well seem more of yours than before.

I wouldn't do it, but you could illuminate the cage at night, and use a red light during the day. This will at least help when the animal is hungry. They don't spend "all" their daylight hours hiding, just 90% of it! Unless they are seeking food or (in the case of males) mates.

Back