• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

T'stat probe placement ?

azhketh

Sorry, this is a bit long, but it was the only way I could think to explain my difficulty...

I have three snake tanks set up with flexwatt tape underneath (covering roughly one third, as suggested) hooked up to one thermostat. the thermostat probe is between the flexwatt and the bottom of the tank, in the middle. For each tank, I have the thermometer probe set in the middle of the heating area directly against the glass, so I know the highest temperature that my snakes can possibly touch.

The problem I'm having is that the tank with the thermostat probe attached is a little more than ten degrees cooler than the other two tanks. I'm thinking this may be user error, and I think I figured out what the problem is, I'm just not sure what to do to fix it.

Since the thermostat probe is in between the flexwatt and the glass bottom, and is in the middle, the flexwatt can't press flush with the glass bottom; instead, a small air pocket is formed from the end of the probe, along the cord, to where the cord exits to go on to the thermostat. The thermometer probe is sitting directly above this air pocket.

Should I just set the thermometer probe closer to the edge of the heating area, and work to keep that temperature at the right level, or should I move the thermostat probe nearer to the edge, so that more of the flexwatt is pressed flush with the glass bottom? My only concern there is that with the thermostat probe near the edge, it might not be getting a proper reading?

Hopefully that all made sense, and that I managed to keep the thermostat and thermometer probes straight. :rolleyes:

To start with, I'd try swapping the thermometers between the tanks and see if the "ten degrees lower" reading moves with the thermometer. A faulty thermometer would probably be the easiest thing to sort out, so it's best to eliminate that as a cause to start with.

The air pocket might be the cause, but it's worth a try.

Hey azhketh,

Why not just move the T-stat probe to the top of the glass next to the Thermometer probe so that there will be no air pocket.

Love the Fatman

To start with, I'd try swapping the thermometers between the tanks and see if the "ten degrees lower" reading moves with the thermometer. A faulty thermometer would probably be the easiest thing to sort out, so it's best to eliminate that as a cause to start with.

The air pocket might be the cause, but it's worth a try.

Good idea, didn't even think of that.

Hey azhketh,

Why not just move the T-stat probe to the top of the glass next to the Thermometer probe so that there will be no air pocket.

Love the Fatman

I would but I figure the snake might just move the t'stat probe around.

I would but I figure the snake might just move the t'stat probe around.
I use Blu-Tak to keep the probes in place on the floor. It's the only sticky stuff I allow in the tanks as it doesn't stick to the Corns. It will dry out and need replacing regularly, but it does a good job of stopping the snakes barging the probe about.

Hey azhketh,

Love the Fatman

what about trying to tape the probe to the bottom outside of the flexwat so the flexwatt lays flat on the glass? That's how I have mine although it's a UTH it should still be fine, just cover the side of the probe with foil tape.

I hot glue my probes in place. After a year or so of cleaning it comes off but ...I'm ok with that. And once, I wanted to move the location and I was able to do so.
A thought!

what about trying to tape the probe to the bottom outside of the flexwat so the flexwatt lays flat on the glass? That's how I have mine although it's a UTH it should still be fine, just cover the side of the probe with foil tape.

lol..I'm such a dork..I completely forgot that flexwatt gets hot on both sides. I may just do that, when I get a chance.

Back