• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Two heads are better then one, I guess...

Rich Z

Administrator
Staff member
In all the thousands of corn snakes I have produced over the years, this is the first time I have ever had a two headed snake hatch out. A two headed Blood Red corn. Both heads are alert and active, flicking their tongues, and the left head actually tried to bite me when I was trying to maneuver it around for a better shot with the camera.

Interesting..........

twohead05_001.jpg

twohead05_002.jpg

twohead05_003.jpg

twohead05_004.jpg

Very cool Rich! You'd better give that one to your wife to take care of so it gets extra special attention! :)

I've seen one of those pickled in a jar. But to see a live one would be a treat. Does the twin headedness affect lifespan, eating or anything else? or do they live happily as normal corns?

That is Awesome Rich! I would love to have one of those! Mother nature does like her little jokes :D

I'm afraid that you all know as much about two headed snakes as I do. I have no idea about this. What do I do if both heads grab the same pinky mouse? Will that snake ever be able to shed properly? If it does survive and has the typical feed response of the other Blood Reds around here this thing will be hell on wheels when it launches itself out of it's cage at you. No way you could ever hold it without at least one of the heads latching onto your thumb.

I said that I had never produced one before, but I didn't really have any desire to do so either. It's interesting, but what the heck do you DO with it? :shrugs:

Probably with a two headed snake, you could either keep it sell it or donate it to a zoo. I am sure there are some collectors out there that would pay top dollar for such a snake. A zoo would definitely love to have that snake I am sure. Just to bring in more people to the zoo. Those would be the three possibilities that I see.

If I had the lil'guy, I'd keep him and give him the best chance possible.
The feeding scenario would be pretty funny, I suppose you could start them on 1 pinky head a piece, to keep each little brain happy, and progress as he gets bigger. Lol, I can imagine them competing to be the first head to get a grip on the mouse.
I hope he pulls through and lives at least a half-decent life.
Oh and a small question, seeing as I'm trying to learn about the genetics side of things. Would the doubleheadedness (lol, can you tell I made that word up?), be passed onto young if he were to live to adulthood and you bred him? or would it be like a 1 in a million chance again?

With a double head snake, are they 2 snakes or one? Guess if its just one and both heads ate would be a big snake in no time. Do you know if its male or female, or both for that matter. Very intresting.

Rich Z said:
I'm afraid that you all know as much about two headed snakes as I do. I have no idea about this. What do I do if both heads grab the same pinky mouse? Will that snake ever be able to shed properly? If it does survive and has the typical feed response of the other Blood Reds around here this thing will be hell on wheels when it launches itself out of it's cage at you. No way you could ever hold it without at least one of the heads latching onto your thumb.

I said that I had never produced one before, but I didn't really have any desire to do so either. It's interesting, but what the heck do you DO with it? :shrugs:

Rich, I suggest you send to Indianapolis! LOL :)

That is just so neat Rich. Best luck keeping it alive, I hope it works out.

Thanks for sharing that. Simply amazing! :)

I would gladly take it off your hands, raise it as a pet and post updated pics! :) I have no need to breed it or anything.

We have a reptile store near by that has a two headed corn as well. It is an adult and looks like it has done quite well. It's not for sale, mainly a display snake.

Wow!! My kids would LOVE that, they are really hoping that we hatch a 2 headed snake someday . . . LOL - KIDS! :shrugs:

That's pretty cool as far as deformities go. I've heard of bicephalic snakes and tortoises living full and long lives as display/curiosity animals in zoos, with each head eating independantly. For Bug...The snake must be one sex as this kind of conjoined twin is the result of of an embryo trying to split into twins and getting stuck at this point (incomplete sepparation) so it's one snake splitting into 2, not 2 snakes joining into 1 (impossible as far as I know)

I think it might be nice for you to raise it up for 6 months and then loan it to a reptile park/ zoo and let them display it, a 5 foot, bright red snake with 2 heads would be pretty cool!

The display could have a little blurb next to it about Serpenco and/or you and you could use it as some free (almost) publicity....it can't hurt!

Failing that, I'd LOVE to own a snake like that! --hint-hint!!!

Back