• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ugh.... (Stupidity Rant)

Joejr14

Grand Bubble Burster
I guess I'm a bit confused here....

Party affiliations aside, why are most people in this country so damn stupid when it comes to understanding the economy, specifically oil/gasoline prices?

I swear, 95% of people do not understand anything about:

- The actual breakdown of a gallon of gas
- How oil prices are determined
- OPEC
- Who's 'fault' it is that gas prices are high

I have to say, I really think everyone should be mandated into taking an introductory economics class before they are allowed to vote. Having millions of people decide an election based on a bunch of BS they hear on CNN scares me....

the one thing I do not get about the price of gas is actually the price of diesel... you know... the byproduct of making gas... there must be a reason... I just do not get it... BTW... I do get why gas has gone up... does not mean I like it though:angry01:

I guess I'm a bit confused here....

Party affiliations aside, why are most people in this country so damn stupid when it comes to understanding the economy, specifically oil/gasoline prices?

I swear, 95% of people do not understand anything about:

- The actual breakdown of a gallon of gas
- How oil prices are determined
- OPEC
- Who's 'fault' it is that gas prices are high

I have to say, I really think everyone should be mandated into taking an introductory economics class before they are allowed to vote. Having millions of people decide an election based on a bunch of BS they hear on CNN scares me....
Don't worry, Joe. My vote will have nothing at all to do with gas prices. ;)

Oddly enough Shane, Diesel is still cheaper than gasoline in Canada.. I have no idea why it so expensive here..

My vote will have nothing at all to do with gas prices.

I am sure Billarey will be happy to know that Steph.. At least I can't vote or serve on a Jury in the US of A.. One of them benefits us legal aliens have! *LOL* Guess I got something out my $5000 or so spent to immigration to the US...

Regards.. Tim of T and J

I rather doubt she'll find out about it.

Your probably right, nor do I think she would give a damn eithier.. Just another lying, deluded politician anyways.. maybe the next one elected will opt to refund my money from the Immigration process.. S'pose if I could have just proved that GrandMa was a US citizen at some point I could have shown up at no cost too..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

It's supply and demand.
Other countries also buy gas.
The value of the dollar has dropped so a dollar is weak against currency of other countries.
No matter who gets elected "party affiliations aside" I think if they can get the dollar to rebound they will do a lot to fix the gas problem.

It's supply and demand.
Other countries also buy gas.
The value of the dollar has dropped so a dollar is weak against currency of other countries.
No matter who gets elected "party affiliations aside" I think if they can get the dollar to rebound they will do a lot to fix the gas problem.

Oh? The US has some of the cheapest gas in the world and oil is traded on the US dollar. Rebounding the dollar probably won't have a great effect on the price of gas.

I will admit I could be wrong. I still think the economy here is a bigger problem than gas prices. Even if the prices are based on the dollar the US doesn't produce that gas. Another country that has a stronger coin gets more dollars in the exchange rate than they used to when the dollar was strong so my thinking was that they can buy more gas with their coin if it's stronger. :shrugs:
Anybody else been shopping around for a smaller car?
I dislike all the candidates running BTW.

Chevron US oil boss said to congress when asked why
they charge so much even after a $12billion profit....
"Because we can" .... I think that says something.. friggin'
Texas Oilmen in charge ATM.. arrgh..

I know who I WON'T vote for in Nov.... The person that said
they "will do everything in my power" to eliminate MY company, thus MY job!
It would be the most stupid thing to do... but thats what they want..
When a candidate singles out a single subsidized co to eliminate
and can't understand WHY we are upset..??.. They are too Stupid
to get my vote!!

But doesn't the UK have pretty good public transportation system? Is the $10/gallon matching with your country's cost of living? What's your country's unemployment rate? These are things to take into account of whether you can "afford" to pay a certain price for something like gas.

But doesn't the UK have pretty good public transportation system? Is the $10/gallon matching with your country's cost of living? What's your country's unemployment rate? These are things to take into account of whether you can "afford" to pay a certain price for something like gas.
Our public transport is not the greatest..In fact it's crap.....As far as unemployment goes, between 2-3 million claim......The unemployed can afford petrol, their standard of living is subsidised by people like me....
$10 /gallon is for petrol, diesel is more expensive, and the lorries that deliver to shops use that so our cost of living is about to go through the roof....

But doesn't the UK have pretty good public transportation system?

Meh, maybe compared to America, i wouldn't know, but our transport system wastes millions of tax payers money annually, not to mention the frequent scandals, sky rocketing prices and major reliability issues.

Is the $10/gallon matching with your country's cost of living?

Nope, unfortunately Haulier/Transport companies who are being affected first are going out of business on mass at the moment and are protesting down in London etc.

The Brits are paying, comparatively a hell of alot more, but its no competition, we're all screwed :angry01:

Public transportation in the US is pretty much non existent (unless you want to go from one side of town to the other). I'm temping part time right now because I lost my "real" job in July (and no one wants to hire a woman that's going to be on maternity in another 4-5 months) and what I make there, half of it is going to gas to get to work. It's hardly making it worth it at all.

Alternatively, my mother's husband is lucky enough to work for PennDot and he pays $80/month to get on a bus about 15 miles from their home that heads to Harrisburg (BUT he has to walk a good ways to get to his building), which I know saves them a good bit of money. He just gets stuck gone from home for an additional 1-2 hours compared to if he would drive himself.

In the US, the pretax household income in 2006 was $48,201.

In the UK, the pretax household income in 2006 was $45,845.

But we pay roughly 4 times as much for our petrol... There we go.

I have to agree with TWGarland (we're all screwed). It's not about who pays more is it?
I think it might be the wake up call we need. Like, unless you actually have to use it to haul stuff why buy a big truck or SUV? What's funny is how many of those are stuck on dealer's lots now and nobody can afford to get from point A to B if they buy or already have one.
Seriously, the car has been around for a while and so has the knowledge that fossil fuels won't last forever. Even if we tapped into the last reserves like Alaska that too will run out. It just takes something like this to happen to make consumers wake up and demand better more efficient cars. I think I even heard somewhere the Model T got about as good MPG as some of today's cars.

I don't think we are going to run out of fossil fuel. I think pollution will do us in before we run out. I think the real problem for both the US and the UK is we are dependent on the Middle East for oil and they control it. The price and the supply are not ours to choose. That worries me more than anything else.

I’m sure public transit in the UK is the same as the US. If you live in a big city you can get around. If you live in the country, you better have a bicycle.

I have a friend who owns a chain (five) of grocery stores. He says they completely turn their inventory every three days. If the trucks stop running, they will run out of food in three days. Then getting to work won’t seem so important.

Back