• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

UTH attaching to ceramic tile?

recycling goddess

addiction addict
okay i'm getting ready to attach my UTH (exo terra) to a ceramic tile. i have the tile, i have the UTH.

making sure i understand (since you can't remove and reattach)

i take the sticky side of the UTH and attach it to the glazed side of the ceramic tile.

then i place the tile with the UTH on top underneath the enclosure.

correct?

You got it right. You can place little pegs under the enclosure to lift it a little so the tile and UTH aren't resting right under the enclosure. If it does, it is no big deal. Mine haven't gotten hot enough to melt rubbermaids and i don't use rheostats.

manog said:
You got it right. You can place little pegs under the enclosure to lift it a little so the tile and UTH aren't resting right under the enclosure. If it does, it is no big deal. Mine haven't gotten hot enough to melt rubbermaids and i don't use rheostats.

They might not get hot enough to melt rubbermaids, but they definately DO get hot enough to burn the snake. My apartment is about 70 degrees, and I still have to keep my corn's viv propped up about 3/4" off the tile to keep the temps under control.

Here's how I have all of mine set up. The 1st pic shows a front view of the viv. The UTH is under the right side hide.

The second pic is shot from underneath showing the UTH. I stick the UTH to the ceramic tile and place the ceramic tile against the glass holding it in place with brackets. The vivs I put on shelves, I put rubber feet on the ceramic tile to allow for air circulation. Using a rheostat, I still have a temp of 88 degrees under the hide.

Hope this is helpful!

Attachments

• DSCN1885.JPG
    DSCN1885.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN1878.JPG
    DSCN1878.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 113
oh so you put the tile against the glass instead of the UTH against the glass and the tile underneath?

is this how everyone does it. cause if so, i'm doing it wrong.

the point of the tile is to protect the surface under the UTH and to allow for some air space between the UTH and the tank. usually it should be like this:

Tank
Air Space
UTH
Ceramic Tile
Desk

Is it correct to assume that more than one tile is used when a UTH is 8x18? Or would one use the large floor tiles?

sbourget said:
the point of the tile is to protect the surface under the UTH and to allow for some air space between the UTH and the tank. usually it should be like this:

Tank
Air Space
UTH
Ceramic Tile
Desk
Most UTH have an adhesive backing to stick right to the glass, so actually you don't need air space between the tank and the UTH, but you do need to have air space so it dosen't overheat. The reason I stick the UTH to the ceramic tile is to be able to move it to another viv if I need to; stick it to the glass and it's stuck to that tank for life.

So my order is:

Tank
Ceramic Tile
UTH (stuck to tile and regulated by a rheostat)
Air space (rubber feet on all 4 corners of tile to keep it elevated)
Desk

PnyKlr said:
Is it correct to assume that more than one tile is used when a UTH is 8x18? Or would one use the large floor tiles?
I use wall tile, they're thinner. I have what I think is also an 8X18 and used 3 wall tiles. I think they were like 1-8X12 in the middle and an 8X2 on each end. Don't really remember, but Lowes or Home Depot have an assortment of sizes. I'm sure they could help you out.

well i put mine:

rubbermaid type container
air
UTH
tile

and the temp was 68 degrees on the bottom of the enclosure so i just removed the airspace and put it below the tile and i'll see what i get for readings. obviously the other way isn't working in this case.

sorry i mistyped.

i've turned the tile over and created an airspace below it. so now the it sits:

enclosure
tile
UTH
air space
table

aleesha

Back