• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Very UNUSUAL garter...

In my excitement I forgot to make an important note. Notice the head in comparison to the older photos, more pigment came off!

i wouldn't think that a morph would just develope on its own in the wild..
As was said, lots of the crazy morphs are wild in origin......
Look at Noah and the Bp market....

In my excitement I forgot to make an important note. Notice the head in comparison to the older photos, more pigment came off!
It's a great looking snake Allison, but you should release it really..... I have pm'd you with the best method of release for the snake...... It makes more sense than anything else I have read.....

paradox garter? Might want to keep it for one or 2 rounds of cb...just to make sure it won't be a parent of something new and totally different again.

Gorgeous!! I wouldn't release it. Assuming I could legally keep it and didn't have a phobia of WC snakes...Bet it's a paradox, but hopefully it's genetic.

It's a great looking snake Allison, but you should release it really..... I have pm'd you with the best method of release for the snake...... It makes more sense than anything else I have read.....

Why would you release it? It is likely a new WC morph and you want her to release it because that makes more sense than anything else? I am sorry but I don't see the logic in that even if you are a person that is touchy about WC animals.

Looks like a form of piebaldism.

Send it to me. I have a T.elegans I could put it with, test breed it. If it proves true...I'll send back the original, keep a couple of babies, and we'll both make some money. If not...I'll send back the original, keep a couple of the babies, and we'll both have some nice pets.

And...I'm not kidding...

OPh also...

Someone said they didn't think morphs would just happen in the wild but...MOST nmorphs are products of wild caught homozygous animals being discovered. I found this guy earlier th8is year...

rleconteimccm609.jpg

I fully bhelieve this little bugger to be axanthic/anerthrystic. It's a Western Longnose, but every single longnose I have ever seen, both in the wild, in photos, and in captivity, all have brown eyes...even the Clarus Phase. This one has blue eyes. As well...all the Clarus phase animals I have found have speckles of red, somewhere, on them. This one is completely devoid of red and, in fact, looks like a normal phase lacking red and yellow...not like a Clarus phase at all.

Antyhow...just wanted to point out that most morphs are created from w/c homozygous animals. I know this longnose is chillin' in my bedroom growing up as we speak...

Very nice find tyflier good luck with that project I have only seen one captive longnose and it was a neat animal. I myself have two unique finds in the field that I treasure one being the only salamander ever found in my county and an albino ground skink. I hope that this garter proves out for you if you decide to keep it.

Why would you release it? It is likely a new WC morph and you want her to release it because that makes more sense than anything else? I am sorry but I don't see the logic in that even if you are a person that is touchy about WC animals.
Because I am smarter than the average bear.... LOL
And Allison thinks it's for the best as well after reading her pm to me....
As for wild caught.... I'd like to be able to get hold of as many as possible in my particular species interest, so I have no worries there...

Wow, a pretty snake! And great that its eating too. I, personally would dub that morph "grizzle" because of the neat speckled gray and white patterns :)
Maybe look into getting a permit? The law usually allows for a certain amount of reasonable use for native species, and I think it would be well worth any fees or whatever apply to see if that look is genetic and can be brought into captive breeding. Definitely do everything legally!

Unless it is for legal reasons I still don't see a point in re-releasing it but then again I grew up field herping and collecting with guidance from guys that had been working with many herps and even done field studies for the state so I probably am just looking at it from another view point. Did she ever find out if there was a legal issue with this snake?

My bets would be on either paradox, pied, or axthanic(lack of yellow). I think thats an awesome find and you (or someone else) should test breed it.

My bets would be on either paradox, pied, or axthanic(lack of yellow). I think thats an awesome find and you (or someone else) should test breed it.

Axanthism would not create a pattern of the mutation like that. As well...I can see yellow from the pics, so...you can rule that out.

Paradox...paradox what? Paradox normal? A "paradox" is something that is different from the normal for no known reason. So yea...I guess it could be a "Paradox Normal". But then again...every morph ever known as well as many abberant patterns would AL be considered "paradox", until their genetic reliability is proven. Wouldn't go with that one...

But I do agree that it should be tested and proven...

I also see no problem with keeping it. Garters are not threatened, and this one is absolutely not "normal". IMO, it would be much more conducive to progressing the hobby to breed it, test it, and prove it's genetic potential, than to release it to the wild with nothing more than a curious glance. Imagine where we would be if nobody ever kept and tested those "unusual" specimens they found in the wild...

Axanthism would not create a pattern of the mutation like that. As well...I can see yellow from the pics, so...you can rule that out.

Paradox...paradox what? Paradox normal? A "paradox" is something that is different from the normal for no known reason. So yea...I guess it could be a "Paradox Normal". But then again...every morph ever known as well as many abberant patterns would AL be considered "paradox", until their genetic reliability is proven. Wouldn't go with that one...

But I do agree that it should be tested and proven...

I also see no problem with keeping it. Garters are not threatened, and this one is absolutely not "normal". IMO, it would be much more conducive to progressing the hobby to breed it, test it, and prove it's genetic potential, than to release it to the wild with nothing more than a curious glance. Imagine where we would be if nobody ever kept and tested those "unusual" specimens they found in the wild...

I was just giving some ideas. I can't think of what other type of morph it could be. Its very odd because it is affecting color and pattern.

I would keep it if you legally can.

I would breed it if you legally can.

I would not recommend intentionally lying to circumvent the law. Especially where herps are involved. (Don't we have enough image problems as a hobby??)

If not legal to keep/breed I would check if it's legal for an educator to keep/breed. Often times there is a provision for that situation.

Awesome find! :eek:
D80

New morphs sell for big money. You could sell it to someone and realize some fast cash. Or you could keep it and breed to it, and determine if it produces remarkably different looking offspring. Those offspring could be the beginning of your personal breeding "project".

Like the talking walking tree in the Hobbit sez;
(with regard to making any decision whatsoever, such as clicking the "Post Quick Reply" button):
"Don't be Hasty"
or put another way,
"regrets can be one of the most expensive things in life"

"It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to."

I KNEW you were an Ent. ;)

Back