• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Very weird question.

Jupiter

Hello again, I've got another question, this is a pretty bizarre one, and I'm not sure if yall (or anyone else) would have an answer, but I'll give it a shot.

So we use a fireplace all winter, to help with heating our (rather large) double-wide. The fireplace is on the FAR eastern side of the house, and Sir Blinky's viv is in the FAR west side, in my room. A distance of about 70-80 feet apart, HOWEVER there are no walls or doors between them(weird I know), which is an important bit of info for the question, which is: Is it ok for a a snake to be exposed to the smell/scent of wood burning, and the very rare tiny bit of smoke? I know it's a weird question, but if anyone has a wood burning apparatus in their home, they'd know what I mean. Sometimes a log will shift and a bit of smoke will come out of the fireplace and you can smell it throughout the house until the log burns down (it's not an off putting smell, I've grown rather fond of it actually, we burn oak mostly), although most of the time it isn't a thick smell, just a passive, constant one, usually lasting for no more than a few (5 or 6 max) hours. Is this ok? I know mammals and reps are COMPLETELY different in every way, but we currently (temporarily) have 4 dogs and 3 cats living here and none of them have shown any signs of illness what so ever. Like I said this is not a regular thing, only happens every now and then I'd say maybe two or three times a month throughout the cold ones. If you have any questions about this weird question of mine, then feel free to ask, I'll answer as soon as I can.

I don't think that's a weird question. I've worried about soot inhalation too. I don't have a fireplace, or wood-burning stove, but had to run a kerosene heater when we lost power for 3 days in the winter. This was a few years ago, and the snakes seem fine. I bought the really expensive "indoor" fuel, and it was much cleaner-burning than regular kerosene. It's supposed to be cleaner than the K1 variety.

Anyway, that probably doesn't answer your questions about wood-burning, but we're on the same page with concerns about potential toxins that our animals are exposed to.

Kathy

The only thing I would worry about is burning green cedar or pine trees, they can be toxic to corns. I know people are told not to use either as bedding, but I don't know if this counts for burning the same kind of wood or not.

Great question, hopefully someone will chime in!

Back