• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Viv vs Rack... I need advice

DLena

Corns are goram shiny!
How do people have multiple corns? I fell in love with Ayasha, my extreme Okeetee, bought her from SMR, set up a 40B viv for her, which she loves, and I understand she can stay in forever. But it was pricey to do and takes up a good amount of room. I already know that one corn is not enough, but, short of using my entire office space for vivs... I've been investigating racks as an alternative. What size bins would I need for full-grown corns? Looking at a few sites (Boaphile Plastics, Animal Plastics) since I am unable to build my own, it appears that a trio rack would be comparable in price to a viv like Ayasha's, take up a lot less space, and would allow me to increase my herd to four. Would the snakes in the rack really be okay? There'd only be room in there for water, a hide (2 hides?) but nothing else...nothing for them to do. Or I could manage one more viv and limit myself to 2...

I am looking for some solid, all-encompassing advice because I've seen a gorgeous Miami adult for sale, and there're 2 reptile shows hitting Buffalo NY in May, and I'm probably doomed.

This is Ayasha in her viv:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=16254&albumid=2310&dl=1455946487&thumb=1

If all you're doing is housing them to breed and sell the rack system is great. If you're keeping them as pets, and would like to actually see them, the rack system isn't what you're looking for. I know it would take up less space, but is it what you really want to look at? If multiple snakes are what you're after, then I suppose that's the way to go. Either way, good luck with your decision! :)

If you see yourself expanding quickly, a rack might be the way to go. Two of mine are off on long holidays, but I'm going to be at 8 total soon (possibly 9-10 if I pick up a 2nd rack) and there's no way I have room for that many vivs right now.

I'm not looking to breed, just to have and enjoy, but the Miami is gorgeous. (I shouldn't have been looking. I swear it's like trying to ignore that second Oreo!) What would a decorated 40B viv look like for a full grown corn? Does anyone have an adult corn in a decorated viv who could send out a picture?

Do you mean 40 gal aquarium? That would be plenty large enough. I'm planning on maybe a 29 Long aquarium (they make them L or 'high' at that size but I'd rather have it long over high) for Loopy when he gets too large for his 10 gal tank (viv). I've heard that size is good enough for an adult corn. But I'm open for something a tad larger if need be, but I don't have too much room here either! (which is one reason I'm sticking with one snake)

Yes, 40 gallon breeder size (breeder means longer and wider). I have Ayasha (only 19 inches...little one :) in a 40 also. I just bought the 2nd tank a few hours ago. Do you have Petco where you are, because their Zilla Critter Cages are all 50% off through early March. It's a nice product: 36lx18wx16h, sliding mesh top with back locking clips. On sale for $60 and much lighter than an actual fish tank, with a super secure top. I started with the max size because I didn't want to have to switch it out, get new UTH, have to find place to accommodate new size...

It's completely up to you. For adult corns, would expect height of tub/rack system to be the most limiting factor for environmental enrichment.

I own snakes so I can see them, so no tubs/rack systems for me. They do get some time out of their vivs, but not a lot, so I want to provide as much space/enrichment as I can. My house is small, 900 sq feet so racks would save space and definitely would save money. Currently own 3 bull snakes and 2 corn snakes. Waiting on decent shipping weather for 2 trans pecos rat snakes. Using stackable vivs. As adults, the bulls will all be in 5x2x2 foot vivs and the corns and rats in 4x2x1.5 foot vivs.

I'm going with a second 40 gal viv. I really like watching them cruise around. Ayasha is small enough to hang from the plants. I'm not sure how to decorate for an adult.

I'd look at stackable cages - saves space like a rack, but pretty for snake visibility. Pricey, but good ones last forever and are a lot easier to manage than multiple glass tanks.
I just ordered a 36" stackable Neodesha cage (It only weighs 25 lbs! and is the same length/width as your 40 breeder tank): http://www.npicages.com/36_stackable_cage.html

Animal plastics and Boaphile are two more well known names in cages.

Those do look nice, and I watched their video as well. You have the black ones? Did you get the cart to stack them together on or do you have them on a table? Do you have N adult corn? J was wondering if it is hard to get one out with the divider bar and the front loading. It linked to another site for heating and hides that looked good too. ��

I bought one of the Neodesha 36" stackable black ones, yes. It hasn't arrived yet, will probably be 10 days. I already have an ultratherm heat mat (that's the same one they linked to) and a dimmer attached to it. I plan to add another cage or two to stack and a true thermostat if I like this one when it's set up.

They were very helpful when I emailed them a question about whether there is a lip to keep litter out of the tracks, and sent me pictures of it.

I have a corn snake and a brooks king snake that will move into those enclosures.

My current 20 gallon long tanks are on 18" x 36" wire shelving from here:
https://www.theshelvingstore.com/18-d-Chrome-Wire-Shelving-Unit-with-3-Shelves-p/sc-3-18.htm

Want me to PM you pictures and a review when it arrives?

I would really appreciate pics and a review. So I have to do anything to set up PM? How do I PM you or will I just be able to PM you in response to your PM to me. Those shelves are incredibly sturdy and not a bad price for the quality.

Hi DLena, just click my name in the forum post, them click "Send a private message" I just sent one to you.

If you look at the upper right of your screen now, under "Welcome DLena" You'll see "Private messages: Unread 1 Total whatever.

My 6 snakes are in a rack - large tubs - Vision V70. I will never go back to Vivs unless I only have 1 snake. Which is not really possible because I couldn't decide which to keep and which to re home.

d1f323aff97858474f9d7c509d687271.jpg

2b1fa0c762fc2663ab9ea93cf0a615f9.jpg

So my snakes are not full grown by any stretch of the imagination but these are my two 40 gallon aquarium set ups!! It does take up a huge amount of space 36X18 for each to be exact but for me the racks just aren't good enough because I can't see them!! I would say if you plan on getting more than 2 you should go with a rack but you can have someone make a stand that can stack the tanks on top of eachother with enough room in between to open and all that, which is what I am doing!!

Nicole

I have my adults in Animal Plastics Economy Plastic racks. They are open sided- so lots of light gets in, and the snakes are easy to see. I have 66 qt bins. The snakes have wine boxes to climb on or sleep in. (They REALLY love to have a paper bag in the box, and some how they always get inside the bag!!) Some snakes (that use them) have hammocks. This size bin also allows for a large ceramic dog water bowl that the snake can get into completely. Racks are a billion times easier than glass vivs. Imagine being able to take the whole viv to your bathtub to thoroughly wash it, if you need to, or to disinfect it if you change occupants. Also- you can rearrange the snakes to your heart's content. I've gone through phases of arranging them by family groups, colors, ages, and now am mostly set on males vs females, with the easiest snakes up on the top (the ones who aren't going to bite or come flying out) and the most difficult snakes at waist height (the ones that bite first, determine if it's food later), and the current breeding males at the bottom (cooler). The breeding females go at about eye level so I can watch lay-box activity.

First, the needs of the animal must be met. If you don't do that, then you shouldn't have a snake to begin with. Having said that, I don't believe that the snake really prefers a viv over a rack, or vice versa. The difference is entirely about you. I have both. Racks because I don't have room or money for that many vivs, and vivs because I personally enjoy observing the animals. Are they pets or specimens? Companions or breeding material? Maybe most of all, how many are enough? I started this hobby in 2013 and had over 100 snakes in 2015 (if I included my offspring). (I think I've finally reached an equilibrium, where enough is enough, but I'll probably sell ones that I just had to have at the time, so I can buy new ones that I just have to have now.) I do find it odd that many owners debate the minimum viv size while others keep hundreds very successfully in rack tubs that are half the size. I also question whether snakes require environmental stimuli or room to exercise. They are sedentary in the wild, and seem to avoid environmental stimuli there. I doubt if they actually "enjoy" a vivarium any more than a rack. We, however, do very much. If you have the money and the room, I vote for stackable vivs.

Idea: I have found it to be much cheaper to make your own. You say you cannot, but why not try and find some local handy-person to make them for you? (Friend of a friend, facebook, craigslist) You could design them to fit your available space, and if you bought several at one time, they'd almost certainly be cheaper than buying online. Plus, if they're good enough, you can convince this person that there are hundreds of other hobbyists out there looking for a good cage-maker.

Back