• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Wall color

What color are your walls?

• White, just plain

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Neutral tan, taupe, gold, beige

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Neutral other

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Bold and red !!!! I LOVE color!!!

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I'm color blind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Industrial snot grey

• I live in a cave, there is no paint on the walls

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Dunno. Will hafta go home and look.

• I have fabric padded walls. And a straitjacket.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Lucille

Almost finished putting up the wallpaper. It is paintable paper so now I get to decide whether to paint. It is a sort of beigey color, OK but nothing to write home about. The paint I got to paint with is similar to Benjamin Moore's Stratton blue. It is nice but it will slighten darken the feel of the room.

So this is the perfect time for a paint poll to see if y'all go with plain vanilla, trendy neutral, or bright and bold.

I'm actually picking out colors for my wall right now, and having a hard time :laugh:

My favorite colors are bold earth tone colors. If I had large rooms I'd love to go with some dark bold reds, greens, browns, etc...

However, I have small rooms, and plan to sell within a few years...so I'm going with light base tan colors. I do not like white though.

I don't care for browns because it looks like a hotel to me. We have white walls with black floating shelves on the walls, big rectangles of deep red paint behind them, and lots of skulls sitting on the black shelving set off by the red paint. Overall, our color scheme is write, red, and black with exposed cement floors. But the kitchen is tomato red with black and stainless cabinetry. The bedroom is white with an orange accent wall behind the bed. The study is also white with a single orange accent wall.

What's the point of papering if you're going to paint on it? Is there something different about the walls where you live? Ours are textured so you couldn't paper if you wanted.

Wall colors....
Are you THAT bored!!!

If you know of Roy, you would know of the hand and the white wall.

Well, I don't have my own house yet but when I do I intend to have some nice color themes all throughout. I'm all about the color! :cool:

What's the point of papering if you're going to paint on it? Is there something different about the walls where you live? Ours are textured so you couldn't paper if you wanted.

It is a textured paper. I have a very old house, the walls are not perfect, but the textured paper gives it a new look.

Wall colors....
Are you THAT bored!!!

I actually love to look at the way people design the places they live in. Even the most modest home can be inspired, and imprinted with the favorites and loves of those who live there. Besides color and furnishings, the items a person chooses to display says a lot about him/her and can show facets of their personality and say a lot about what they are truly made of.

I don't care for browns because it looks like a hotel to me. We have white walls with black floating shelves on the walls, big rectangles of deep red paint behind them, and lots of skulls sitting on the black shelving set off by the red paint. Overall, our color scheme is write, red, and black with exposed cement floors. But the kitchen is tomato red with black and stainless cabinetry. The bedroom is white with an orange accent wall behind the bed. The study is also white with a single orange accent wall.

That sounds like a gorgeous home.

Every room in our house is different. The living room is bright blue, the same as painter's tape. The door and window frames are different colours, too, very dia de los muertos.

Mine are off white with a smattering of children's fingerprints, pencil, ink and crayon, cat rubbings, a small hole or two and something I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it only comes off with the paint. We're overdue for a new paint job...once we have the financial stability to afford it and the time to do it (yeah...right...).

I voted "CAVE"..because thats how I feel sometimes..
I have that stupid fake wood paneling..I hate it..and then in some rooms..there is even wall paper over the paneling..I would love too pant the walls green in most rooms..just different shades..but i can't..so I have painted my cupboards green..HAHA...
solution is hang up as many pics. as possible..I bought an M.C. Escher calendar just so I could hang up his art work..haha..
Stupid fakke wood.....:headbang:

~~'manda

I voted "CAVE"..because thats how I feel sometimes..
I have that stupid fake wood paneling..I hate it..and then in some rooms..there is even wall paper over the paneling..I would love too pant the walls green in most rooms..just different shades..but i can't..so I have painted my cupboards green..HAHA...
solution is hang up as many pics. as possible..I bought an M.C. Escher calendar just so I could hang up his art work..haha..
Stupid fakke wood.....:headbang:

~~'manda

I, too, am not a fan of the wood paneling.

I've got that ghastly wood paneling on my walls, too. A friend of mine "wallpapered" her entire apartment using fabric because she wasn't allowed to paint the walls, and it actually looks really great. I've been considering trying something similar once I have the funds (and motivation!) available.

When I did my first apartment in Ohio, I went with a light grey with white trim and ceiling. The crown moulding was a darker shade of the grey. It was such a cool look! I did the bedroom in a light peach with a tangerine accent wall with white trim which are my fave colors so you know it rocked, lol. The Kitchen was done in a light jade to match the design in the grey tile floors and counter tops, which looked cool with the black appliances. I started with white paint and used tint's to make the colors which is really fun unless you run out... well it used to, now you can take a sample in and have it matched by computer...

I like it, too, desertanimal.
My tastes are pretty much two. In my last apartment, I had it modernly painted and decorated similarly in white, beige (light and dark), black, forest green and gold (metallic).
My number two scheme is plain old traditional 19th century plantation house period colors. The formal dining room at Nottoway Plantation....I thought was pale sky blue, but when I got up close, very close, it was a pale lilac, lavendery blue. Sigh...beautiful.

I really don't care for a whole house done in white, off white, etc.

Looks like a sterile, model home to me. But that seems to be the norm these days, at least in Florida. When we had our house built in 1990, the builder was AGHAST that I wanted COLORS in my rooms - and different colors in different rooms, at that! And I was appalled at the idea of painting the whole thing some boring cream/white/ whatever color.

I guess it partly depends on what you grew up with. But to me, a bedroom "should be" some shade of green or blue (blue happens to be my favorite color, anyway) to promote restfulness. And a kitchen "should be" some shade of yellow (whether neutral-ish or bright) to promote a sunny, cheerful feeling. I tend to like a more neutral color in the living room areas.

Of course, I think everyone should choose according to their own tastes. Those are just my own preferences. And if you like a more sterile look (or plan to sell soon), then by all means, go for the white "model home" look, lol!

Unless you plan to sell soon, or have some other reason to please somebody other than yourself and your own family, do what pleases your aesthetic sense, even if it is a little "quirky". Then it will reflect the residents and their personalities, instead of some "normal" look decided by somebody else.

BTW, my builder said that he actually liked our color scheme after it was finished, even though he had severe doubts while doing it!

Oh, crap, I meant to choose Neutral. =P

Our walls are this really plain, light blue/green that I swear sometimes looks gray... Aside, of cousre, from two accent walls (a loooong pink-orange one that goes from the living room down into the hallway and a big maroon one in my bedroom) and various "off" squares that are a few shades darker than the rest because my dad grabbed the wrong paint bucket when repairing the various holes in the sheetrock. ... Hey, I guess my walls are pretty "other"!

'Course, I didn't pick any of the colors in my house. Because it's my parents' house. When I get my own place, I want it to be colorful. Accent walls and colorful rooms galore! =)

I had to pick other because I really love the earth tone colors like dusky red, chocolate brown, sage green, etc... Though most of the walls in my house are painted beige, which isn't horrible, just kind of... blah, yanno? I painted my living room a kind of darker robin's egg blue. Goes lovely with the white trim, imo. :} Neutral colors, however, are always safe and generally go with EVERYTHING!

Back