• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Walmart Pet Dept.: Does it need reptile stuff?

Your opinion?

• Yes

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

Lycari

Desperate to Edit
So, I work for Walmart. Yesterday, I arrived early for work, so I went and had a look at our pets department. I was surprised to find that we don't stock ANYTHING that could be used for reptiles--no food/water dishes, no heating, only fish decor, not even suitable bedding. Everything we have for small mammals has pine or cedar in it.

As a Walmart associate, I do have the option to bring this to the attention of the manager and suggest adding reptile supplies to our stock. Company policy requires that my idea be taken into consideration if I do. (Walmart greeters were, after all, the idea of a part-time sales associate in Tennessee.) Thing is, I'm not sure if we really need to cover reptile supplies. So, I figure I should poll the community: if Walmart were to stock reptile supplies, would you or anyone you know prefer to buy from Walmart compared to, say, Petco or Petsmart? If you have such a large collection that you need to buy in bulk, assume you were just starting out and had only one or two animals?

Thanks for answering!

My local walmart does sell aspen bedding but thats about as close to reptile stuff as they have.

I know if Walmarts up here sold reptile stuff I would problubly buy it from them since Petzoo usually is VERY proud of there stuff haha. A lot of the stuff for my reptiles isn't intended for reptiles, but I have adapted stuff to work. The only things that I use for my reptiles that was intended for reptiles is the bulbs for my CWD and the heat pads for my Corn snake and 2 BPs. Every thing else like the clamp lamps were intended for other purposes but were pretty much the same as the over priced stuff at the pet stores. If Walmart carried that kind of stuff for a decent price I would get it from them.

One big thing that I am having a hard time finding is large sticks for my CWD new cage Im building. Even Petzoo doesnt have them even for birds. I think if they carried that kind of stuff it would sell well.

I mean heck, they sell all kinds of fish stuff and bird stuff why not reptile stuff? I am a sucker when it comes to convenient shopping. If I can get my groceries, electronics and my pet stuff all in one place I will.

It might be in Walmarts best interest to stock a few basic reptile things. Would I buy them? Probably not. Most of what I buy for my snakes comes from walmart or online already just not labeled as such. Heaters and aspen come from online. Tubs, water dishes, hides, temp control all come from walmart. Although, I might buy the huge bags of aspen if they stocked those instead of the pine and cedar in the big bags.

I use dog water bowls for my snakes, hamster water bowls for my geckos. I use shoeboxes as cages. Reptile exclusive stuff costs more for the name. I buy things that are not reptile related and I save a substatial amount of money that way

You forgot "I only got to Walmart for ammo, nightcrawlers or Sterilite feeding bins!" No offense, but all Walmarts near me have a very, very creepy clientele that keeps me away. I'm afraid to walk through the parking lot.

I was surprised to find that we don't stock ANYTHING that could be used for reptiles--no food/water dishes, no heating, only fish decor, not even suitable bedding. Everything we have for small mammals has pine or cedar in it.

My Wally World does sell reptile supplies.

1. Water and Food dishes (Dog water dish = Water bowl and Sterilite tubs = Food dish).

2. Rodent Aspen bedding = Snake Aspen substrate

3. 10 gallon tanks for fish = 10 gallon tank for lizard people

4. Digital T-meter = Digital T-meter(found in Hardware section)

You are correct about no snake food but they do carry dog food to feed to the snake food.

You forgot "I only got to Walmart for ammo, nightcrawlers or Sterilite feeding bins!" No offense, but all Walmarts near me have a very, very creepy clientele that keeps me away. I'm afraid to walk through the parking lot.

haha, Ours isnt bad as far as "creepy clientele" but our walmart is huge. It serves a massive area and is actually the biggest in the state because of it. But I do shop other places too. Just some things they have cheeper so I get it there.

But I do agree with Carinata, a lot of the stuff I use isnt geared for reptiles at all because the stuff that is is way more expensive then it should be.

But stuff like Basking bulbs and UVB lights and stuff like that would be nice to keep in stock.

One big thing that I am having a hard time finding is large sticks for my CWD new cage Im building. Even Petzoo doesnt have them even for birds. I think if they carried that kind of stuff it would sell well.

Just a suggestion, but why not go out and find large sticks outside? I don't buy any sticks from petstores, I don't see the point in paying $35 for a piece of wood I can find outside. All you have to do is soak them in bleach and let them dry, or even bake them if the oven is big enough.

Back