• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Warm, helpful thoughts needed!

Rich in KY

Fortunate Fool
OK guys here is the situation. Many of you remember my new lil' guy from Rich Z

017-2.jpg

Since I have received him, he has refused to eat. I have tried several attempts (listed below) all pinks are 1 day old pinks ordered from Rodentpro and are warmed with hot tap water

07/08 refused brained pink

07/13 refused pink dipped in chicken broth

07/18 refused pink dipped in tuna water

07/23 refused 1/2 pink

07/28 refused washed pink

I am trying to get a LIVE 1 day old pink. This has turned out to be very difficult.

If I am unable to get a live pink, my next attempt will be using an anole to scent the pink. Or possibly even the tail of an anole.

I am open to other suggestions. I have seen Nanci suggest using chicken fat. Nanci if you read this, can you explain this. Is it as simple as pulling the skin off of a piece of fried chicken and rubbing a pink?

Even if you do not have any suggestions, at least send warm, fuzzy thoughts to get my lil' guy to eat please!

Hi Rich...I've just read of the chlcken fat, not tried it myself. As I understand, it's the fat right froma cooked piece of KFC. I think at this point I'd go straight to anole-scenting, though, or even a tiny baby anole. Can you get them?

Hi Rich...I've just read of the chlcken fat, not tried it myself. As I understand, it's the fat right froma cooked piece of KFC. I think at this point I'd go straight to anole-scenting, though, or even a tiny baby anole. Can you get them?

There are not many anole to choose from in this area. I think the best I will be able to do is get one to scent with. Thanks, Nanci

Rich, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It's so completely frustrating, isn't it? That little rosy I got from Dean didn't eat from August until after brumation in Feb. It's maddening.

I read somewhere on Fauna that a guy had used KFC scent on a pink and it worked like a charm. I can't remember exactly, but I think he just used the grease from the carton and rubbed the pink on it.

I have so many mice here, I wish I could send you one. How far are you from me (INDY)? I could meet you half way. Up for a road trip?

Hey, Rich... Can't really help much, except to send the "warm, helpful thoughts". I've been there man and know how absolutely infuriating it this can be. I certainly hope all goes well and he gets eating soon.

We're with ya!

Hey Rich....just checked mapquest. It's not that far at all. 4 hours total. I can bring you pinks AND a few gravid mice if you'd like. PM me if you want them.

Attachments

• LoriToRick.jpg
    LoriToRick.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 246
Rich, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It's so completely frustrating, isn't it? That little rosy I got from Dean didn't eat from August until after brumation in Feb. It's maddening.

I read somewhere on Fauna that a guy had used KFC scent on a pink and it worked like a charm. I can't remember exactly, but I think he just used the grease from the carton and rubbed the pink on it.

I have so many mice here, I wish I could send you one. How far are you from me (INDY)? I could meet you half way. Up for a road trip?

Thanks for the offer Lori. I will keep the road trip in mind if I get a couple more refusals.

Hey, Rich... Can't really help much, except to send the "warm, helpful thoughts". I've been there man and know how absolutely infuriating it this can be. I certainly hope all goes well and he gets eating soon.

We're with ya!

Thanks, Fred. I knew there were people on here who would understand and be supportive!

Rich...The only other idea :idea: I can think of you have probably tried, but I will mention anyway just in case. Put the scent and brain hot pink/pink head in a very small container with lid and air holes and put in to his viv in the middle, not warm side and leave over night.

Other than than I understand how upsetting :cry: and frustrating :headbang: it is to try and get them to eat,not to mention how worried you must be getting. That little one really is a pretty one, all my good warm fuzzy thoughts and prayers are coming your way. Keep us posted and let us know what happens.

Tisha

I always try live in a brown lunch sack overnight. I bet a live pinky would work.
Aside from chicken fat, I've heard chicken broth works.

I know how you feel and wish you a speedy success at getting him to eat for you !!
I have several from my clutch that just won't understand that a pinky really is a GOOD thing to eat. They refused just thawed, scented with tuna or chicken fat, brained, leaving overnight, putting together in small space, live and washed. not easy to get an anola scent. I finally started forcefeeding. :( I had someone who knows how to handle that show me how to do it. A few are now beginning to start eating themselves as soon as the pinky is halfway in.
Not a very fun thing to do, for me nor for them. Hopefully they'll start eating soon. Last year I also had a few like that, took them a few weeks to get it right...

Hey Rich! The chicken thing is probably a good way to go. After feeding live then frozen thawed baby finches to my little anarexic, I've discovered that she will indeed take pinks washed then rubbed (really well) with a piece of raw chicken breast.
She refused most recently, but she usually takes them!

Hi Rich:
You have listed what you are offering but not how you are offering it. That might be wherein the problem lies. So please bear with me for I mean no offense. I've had some mighty fussy feeders and sometimes it's a combination of things. If the little guy is a nervous twitch maybe feeding in his home, normally a no no, would give him the security he needs to take on the vulnerable task of eating. I would also make sure I was feeding at night when they normally would be hunting. Misting the habitat sometimes helps with intensifying the scent. A washed live day old pink is probably the best place to start. Leave it in with the hatchling overnight and no peeking till morning. If the little guy isn't skittish then try tease feeding. I have bloodreds that have responded very well to this approach when all else failed. Kathy Love describes it very well in her book. If you have other babies sometimes feeding them in mass triggers others to eat as well. I liken this to the sibling rivalry effect. This same tact works with reluctant breeders sometimes too! I would exhaust everything before I went to anoles. OMG that's a pain in the butt. Although I'm very astute at the skinning process.:laugh: I truly feel for you. The only thing more frustrating is a regurger. At least with a stubborn feeder you can always force feed till feeding kicks in but a regurger will simply spit it back in your face for your troubles. Best of luck and hang in there.
Terri

Rich, PM me your address and I'll overnight a preg female or a batch of babies to you. Well do it quick, quiet, and under the radar.

It's all the great people like those of you who have responded here, and your wonderful offers that are why I love this forum so much. Rich you have definitely come to the right place for help.

Rich, PM me your address and I'll overnight a preg female or a batch of babies to you. Well do it quick, quiet, and under the radar.

Is that possible? I was going to meet him on Monday...but if they can be overnighted, that will get them to him much faster.

Or are you just being a doink again?

Rich,

I need more info;
When you say half of a pink, does not mean a pinky head?

What did you wash the pink in? Ivory works for me.

What are your temps like I have had some that refuse at 80F but would eat at 78F.

Tease feeding might work. Is he nippy?

I also have FL anoles in my freezer if you need one for scenting.

Also don't forget I am across town if you need anything.

Is that possible? I was going to meet him on Monday...but if they can be overnighted, that will get them to him much faster.

Or are you just being a doink again?

Doink? Did you say Doink? Lori, I’m telling you girl, you are really pushing me here. Doink, I can’t believe she said that. Doink, what is a doink, who would know? Grrrrr….

Yes you can ship live mice overnight, just not legally. Quietly under the radar.

Back