• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

we thought she is dead

reinholds

Hello,
this evening i putted my half year old cornsnake into bowl to swim. (usually she enjoy it and women from pet store told me that swimming is healthy for corn snakes) But to night when i putted her into the bowl she was very nervous and after few minutes she got still with belly upside and opened mouth. I was very frightened i grabbed her out of bowl , but she wasn't dead. After that i was holding her for few minutes and i saw that she wasn't flickering her tongue at all at the beginning , but later as usual but with much smaller range. What that could be i don't understand.
Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, your corn doesn't need you to make it swim. They should have a water bowl big enough to soak in if they wish but otherwise generally don't like getting wet IME. You could have just stressed her out and scared her but otherwise I'm not sure what could be wrong. Hopefully someone else will chime in but in the meantime lay off the swimming.

~Katie

What were the water temps? I read a lot of posts where people write about bathing their snakes, or letting them swim, and I wonder how careful people are about water temps. A snake can't handle a big temp change in either direction in a short amount of time. Are people taking their snakes' temps and water temps to make sure that they're not going to shock them during their bath/swim? I had my one and only minor mite problem about ten years ago, with a group of hatchlings, and that was the only time I "bathed" my corns (to drown the mites).

I'm sure it's reasonably safe if common sense is applied to the situation, but I haven't seen any compelling reason to do it regularly. There are other ways that a snake may be exercised. Corns aren't even semi-aquatic in the wild.

Just my opinion.

I would lean toward thinking that the water was too hot. Did it feel warm to you? If so, then it was WAY too hot. The water should only be around 80 degrees or so if you do choose to bathe your corn (which I do not recommend).

Sometimes people who work in petshops know what they are talking about, but most of the time they don't. Cornsnakes do not need to swim, nor do they enjoy it. I highly reccomend getting Kathy Love's book. It is the best book on cornsnakes ever written. And please, don't force your girl to swim again....

Back