• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Weird stuff on spagnum moss

Teddy Roosevelt

i loev cronsankes
Found something that looked very similar to spider webs in the tub of spagnum moss I had in Mouses tank last night. Naturally I threw it out but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this before and if it really was spider webbing (shudder) or some sort of fungus from the moist conditions? Also if I put the bag I have in the freezer, will that kill off whatever could've caused that?

actually i just found something like that in the spagnum moss in my PDF tank, and i removed it and and everything and 3days later all 3 little guys were dead :(

actually i just found something like that in the spagnum moss in my PDF tank, and i removed it and and everything and 3days later all 3 little guys were dead :(

OMG! That is not good. I have been considering getting moss for moss boxes for my snakes pre-shed, is that the only kinda moss there is?

Now, i wont say thats what killed them, i just found it in there 3 days before... i have no idea what it is :-X I have plenty of spagnum moss left but im throwing that bag out and getting a new one :(

I work in the nursery business and we fight this exact thing all of the time, spider mites they are comon on house plants and out door plants they leave behind a very fine web and they are tiny and usually alot of them when you find them, they are killable but wouldn't trust that batch after you find them hope this is somewhat helpful

I don't know about freezing i know you can bake it but that would dry out the moss realy bad. If it wasn't going in a tank i could tell you a chemical to use but freezing works on other critters that come in on bedding so maybe that would work

Back