• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

what is needed for a corn

recycling goddess

addiction addict
okay, i'm getting ready to bring home our snake. here's what i figured out so far and want to know if it's enough or if i'm forgetting something.

- 20 gallon tank with UTH
- rheostate (to lower temps)
- regulating thermostat to keep the temp constant
- humidistat (to read the humidity in the tank)
- thermometer

- aspen for the bottom

- heavy water dish or plastic container with lid (small hole cut in the top) to hold water
- multiple hides; toilet paper roll closed at one end and smushed down, clay pot with opening *any other suggestions?*

since corns like walls, i'll be placing the water and hides along the edges of the tank.

now, do i need a light for the tank and if so, what wattage do you recommend. something really low to just give light but no heat? (since UTH will be used)

so does it sound like i'm ready or am i missing something?

recycling goddess said:
okay, i'm getting ready to bring home our snake. here's what i figured out so far and want to know if it's enough or if i'm forgetting something.

- 20 gallon tank with UTH
- rheostate (to lower temps)
- regulating thermostat to keep the temp constant
- humidistat (to read the humidity in the tank)
- thermometer

- aspen for the bottom

- heavy water dish or plastic container with lid (small hole cut in the top) to hold water
- multiple hides; toilet paper roll closed at one end and smushed down, clay pot with opening *any other suggestions?*

since corns like walls, i'll be placing the water and hides along the edges of the tank.

now, do i need a light for the tank and if so, what wattage do you recommend. something really low to just give light but no heat? (since UTH will be used)

so does it sound like i'm ready or am i missing something?

Sounds good. Just wanted to warn you about one thing.
If you use a plastic container for a water bowl, you should probably remove the lid completely. If you need to leave the lid on to keep it from spilling, make sure you put the hole along one of the edges of it. I think I read a thread where someone used a plastic container with a hole in the middle of the top for a water bowl and the snake couldn't find it's way out and drowned, but if I am remembering correctly that person ended up being a big lier that probably never had any snakes to begin with.

A small wattage light bulb for light but not heat would be fine, but they really don't need a light unless the room they're in stays dark all the time.

It's not really necessary to have a thermostat AND a rheostat, but if the thermostat is a cheap one it's probably a good idea to have some other temp controlling device hooked up to it too, just in case it malfunctions.

Hope that helped some.
:cheers:

Hi there, I'm new to the hobby my self but as far as I can see your ready to go, as for the lighting corns don't need much light if any at all, so I'd just go with a low wattage aquarium light about 15w should do the job, good luck and enjoy your corn when you get it.

TAM....

I like to light my tanks.For lighting you can use strip lights or a low wattage bulb. As to wattage it really depends what your temps are like. Here in Scotland my favourite bulbs during the summer are energy savers. I use 9w = 40w and 7w = 35w. In winter i use 25w candle bulbs just to keep the temps up. Or if I need something in between I use 15w Pygmy bulbs.

Fake plant look great and if you position them right they can also act as a hide.
toilet paper roll closed at one end and smushed down

I do not think this is necessary just cut them in half an place in the tank. Cork bark looks good and is cheap. Also some enjoy climbing so a steady branch is a good idea.

As for the water bowl I would use a dog bowl big enough for him to fit in and only fill it half full.

It sounds like you have more than the basic set-up and are ready to choose your new reptile.

the corn is going into my son's room which is very cool in the winter (he's a basement dweller)... so i'm thinking a 25 watt would probably be good to assist with the warmth.

thanks to everyone for the added advice. i totally forgot to give a branch LOL - and i'll make sure everything is clean (i have lizards and fish so i'm used to cleaning the wood etc) - i'm thinking a nice piece of driftwood would be nice (i live near the coast)

:D
i'm sooooo excited about setting this up!

Back