• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What is this funny stuff in the saddles?

sprdonkey

..with hatchlings blessed
One of our hatchlings stands out a little bit from the rest. He is wow bright and has these funny dashes through all of his saddles. His dad has it too but not to this extreme and it was not even evident until he got big. Anybody know what causes this in snakes?

Attachments

• New 013.jpg
    New 013.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 202
That would be the start of some frosting.. Some speculation of whether or not the frosting comes from a rat snake cross or not.. I think it is sometimes that looks decent at times..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

I'm not sure that is frosting. It looks more like the usual light patches that can be seen on many corns. Frosting is more on each individual scale than in patches like that.

I also wouldn't call it frosting unless he gets more of it...it looks like normal colour variants to me too... :)

Incidentally, I have a caramel with frosting, she is from SMR stock and certainly has no rat blood in her! :)

Looks like what is also called "blushing". Just a nice thing that happens to their pattern, allowing some of the ground color to show through. I think it looks really cool.

Blushing..

I think he's neat looking, I'm rather taken with him. Now if we could only figure out why some of them have wierd stripes on their bellies we'd be all set.

Attachments

• # 5 1.JPG
    # 5 1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 84
Ummm...I wouldn't term it "bad"...lol

It does sometimes imply that there is rat blood in the corn (ie its a hybrid or intergrade) which is "bad" to people who don't like H/I...like me...lol

BUT not all snakes who have frosting are Hybrids/Intergrades. I have a frosted caramel who is from South Mountain Reptile stock and she certainly isn't anything other than pure corn and I quite like the frosting on her...

Guess it boils down to a matter of taste...lol

You get different "styles" of frosting too...does anyone know if they have different terms for these? My girl has frosting in her saddles only...perhaps EXTREME "Blushing"? lol

beauty is in the eye of the beholder... and I, personally, really like when the 'frosting' shows up in the saddles. I think it adds something to a snake.

This little one is beautiful to me :) I wonder if the frosting marks will get bigger as it grows?? awesome baby :)

Back