• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What kind of snake is this?

Nitelion94

I am The Nitelion
my cousin was at his brothers in his garage and caught this and the first person he thought of was me because im the only1 in the family that keeps snakes. He called and said he had a cow sucker and wanted to know if I wanted it. I had only seen solid black ones so I did not plan on keeping it but I went over to look and when I saw the little guy I was AMAZED. It could be a cow sucker I dont know. It just does not look like any I have ever seen or pictures of them I found on the internet. I dont know if im going to keep it but it was freeing outside tonight and I did not have the heart to let it go afraid it might die. It was flighty and nippy but calmed down fast. all so, Would you guys keep it or let it go? am I being selfish if I keep it? sorry for the long speech lol here are the pictures!
1316663158449.jpg
1316663140935.jpg
1316663129059.jpg

I love his markings! Beautiful lil snake!
My friend had an adult california king that had that banding and color. but again I am a novice!

It is a getula king...

All of the "regular" US kings (chain, Cal king, goini, etc) are the same species, but different subspecies. So they are all very closely related, and could even easily breed together. The kings in Ky tend to become black (or mostly black) as adults. They make good pets, although they may be protected in that state - you would have to check.

Here is a site about Ky snakes:
http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/kysnakebook.pdf

I thought it was a king too but then again, kings aren't my specialty so I'd go with what other people here would say.

Cow-sucker eh? Never heard THAT term before! Around here have really LARGE bees that collect around our back door light now and I heard the local term for them is "cow-kicker" or "mule kicker".

Local names can be funny!

Devon

Not a cow sucker, they are rat snakes. That is definitely a king snake and it looks like a speckeld king. Did it come from the western part of Kentucky? If so it is either a speckled or black/speckled integrade.

dc

I see these types of posts here often and i'm confused about 1 thing: If you don't know what snake it is why would you hold it in your hands? Could just as well be venomous.

There are a limited number of venomous snakes in the SE United States and if you can positively ID them all then you are safe to handle anything that isn't them. Unless you're unlucky and find a green mamba in Miami...

For example, in Florida, there is the coral snake, the copperhead, the cottonmouth and three rattlesnakes. Not very many venomous snakes to learn.

There are a limited number of venomous snakes in the SE United States and if you can positively ID them all then you are safe to handle anything that isn't them. Unless you're unlucky and find a green mamba in Miami...

For example, in Florida, there is the coral snake, the copperhead, the cottonmouth and three rattlesnakes. Not very many venomous snakes to learn.

Ooh, i understand now. Thanks :)

Not a cow sucker, they are rat snakes. That is definitely a king snake and it looks like a speckeld king. Did it come from the western part of Kentucky? If so it is either a speckled or black/speckled integrade.

dc

I agree 100% with this. , with a heavy lean towards speckled king.

right now im going with speckled king. I dont plan on keeping it tho im going to feed it once or twice then set it free. Then im going off in search for a CB speckled because I am in love with the color!!!

If I recall (without doing research) the Speckled King is a little further west, with the Black King being further East. Once you get over the Appalachian Mtns, you get into Eastern King territory.

And for Venomous in East TN, we only have the Copperhead and Timber Rattler. Although people will argue for days that we have Cotton Mouths, when in fact they are only harmless Water Snakes.

Back