• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What to Breed Her to?

She's too young now, and I plan on growing out a male for her, but I don't know what male to get for her. Also, it'll be my first time breeding corn snakes!

I was thinking of getting a charcoal het amel to hopefully produce some blizzards, but if any of you have another idea, definitely let me know! I was told by the breeder that she's an ultramel motley, but I don't know about any possible hets.

So what male should I get for my little Ultramel female?

P.S. her name is Sarabi :D
1001188_4290399756805_428027964_n.jpg

1045018_4290400196816_589326784_n.jpg

1069291_4290399876808_82209807_n.jpg

1013122_4290400076813_744977660_n.jpg

She is really pretty, but please forgive me for asking....why does she have to be bred at all?

Also.... If she's not het or possible het charcoal..... You have a long wait coming to produce blizzards.

Here are some threads that I would recommend. Some will make you think about if you really want to breed and others will help explain genetics. If you need more help finding resources feel free to ask. I would really recommend doing a fair amount of research before breeding. Asking what you should breed is a very personal decision IMO. And you really need to understand genetics before starting any breeding project. I suggest breeding for what you find interesting because the market isn't that great so it is very possible that you will have these babies a long time before placing them so you might as well like what you are taking care of.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126082

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20501

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28343

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83372

And here is a list of my females and who and what I bred this year (and who and what I didn't).....

Riley, gorgeous caramel stripe. Has never been bred.

Carmen, one of the most beautiful caramel motleys I have ever seen. Has been bred in the past but caramel mots are not hugely desirable, even though this girl amazes me everytime I open her viv. I didn't breed her this year.

Hypwhip, normal het charcoal, sunkissed and diffused. Did breed her this year to a similar male but the eggs went bad.

Jodu, Hyp's sister. Didn't breed her.

Myah, wonderful amber bloodred hatched 2008. Never been bred.

Valerie, anery stripe het hypo. I did breed her with a sunkissed het anery and hypo but the eggs went bad. Hope to create striped anery sunkisseds someday down the line.

Sangria, Fire girl who has been bred before but not this year.

Nyota, lava het bloodred. Got 12 nice eggs from her this year and hope for lava bloods.

Luna, lavender het diffused and stripe. Bred her to a similar male hoping for a lavender stripe keeper from her this year. Only 2 good eggs.

Twinkie, caramel possibly het lava girl. Bred her with a lava possibly het caramel boy hoping for topaz. Got 12 huge eggs from her.

Envy, gorgeous low expression pied sided hypo bloodred. Never been bred.

DayTonia, huge okeetee girl. Has been bred in the past but not this year and never by me.

Sonya, granite het hypo, stripe girl bred to a similar male. Got 18 perfect eggs from her this year.

Solace, avalanche girl possibly het stripe. One of the nicest animals I have ever hatched out. Never been bred.

Ellabelle, ultra cinder possibly het caramel. Never been bred.

Peaches, an orchid. Bred her to a sunkissed het lavender male. 18 nice eggs cooking now.

Grey Lady, pewter possibly het lavender. Never been bred.

Sunday, anery motley het bloodred, stripe and possibly amel. Never been bred.

Storm, snow motley het bloodred and stripe. Never been bred.

Minneola, sunkissed possibly het lavender. Never been bred.

Yoshi, normal het sunkissed, anery and hypo. Never been bred (but possibly next year).

Rhiannon, caramel motley, never been bred.

Twizzler, lava girl. Never been bred.

What I am trying to say here is that just because you have it, that doesn't mean it has to be bred. Even fantastic examples of their morphs have trouble selling these days.
Out of the 23 breedable girls I have, I only bred 7 this year.

Last edited:
I must spread some rep around. Out of 30+ girls, I bred two this year and sent two others out on breeder loan.

If you are positive you want to breed and think you can find good homes for the babies or find an outlet to sell them, I would look for a male that also carries motley and ultra/ ultramel. (Keep in mind that many people don't want much to do with the ultra morph due to them being considered hybrids by some)
Nobody should "own rights" to be able to breed their own snakes and then tell other people they should not do so, but the market is flooded so it is a good idea put some thought into it and try to breed snakes there will be some kind of demand for.
I had a good dozen female corns at the beginning of the year I could have bred, I chose the 4 that I either thought there would be a decent market for babies or were projects of mine that I wanted to continue. Sold a couple of my adult females actually.

You all have very good points an I appreciate your input. I have the time to put more thought into it as far as what to breed her to. Also, I will wait until I can ensure the babies are going to good homes, as I will not be breeding to make a profit (some I will sell if I can, but most will be going to friends and family).

I have done a lot of research and realize it is not easy to breed or incubate eggs or raise the babies, so I'm willing to take the time to continue researching and learning the genetics, as that is the part where I fall short, lol.

I forgot that she had to be het for charcoal to produce blizzards in the first clutch, so maybe I will go another route. If anyone has any ideas for neat combos let me know, in the meantime I'll be doing research and making up my mind whether I'll even breed her in the future.

If you are positive you want to breed and think you can find good homes for the babies or find an outlet to sell them, I would look for a male that also carries motley and ultra/ ultramel. (Keep in mind that many people don't want much to do with the ultra morph due to them being considered hybrids by some)
Nobody should "own rights" to be able to breed their own snakes and then tell other people they should not do so, but the market is flooded so it is a good idea put some thought into it and try to breed snakes there will be some kind of demand for.
I had a good dozen female corns at the beginning of the year I could have bred, I chose the 4 that I either thought there would be a decent market for babies or were projects of mine that I wanted to continue. Sold a couple of my adult females actually.

You all have very good points an I appreciate your input. I have the time to put more thought into it as far as what to breed her to. Also, I will wait until I can ensure the babies are going to good homes, as I will not be breeding to make a profit (some I will sell if I can, but most will be going to friends and family).

I have done a lot of research and realize it is not easy to breed or incubate eggs or raise the babies, so I'm willing to take the time to continue researching and learning the genetics, as that is the part where I fall short, lol.

I forgot that she had to be het for charcoal to produce blizzards in the first clutch, so maybe I will go another route. If anyone has any ideas for neat combos let me know, in the meantime I'll be doing research and making up my mind whether I'll even breed her in the future.

Excellent posts, both of them. I never want to come off as a "no one should be able to breed their snakes ever ever ever except meeeee kind of person" at all. I just want my words to make someone think about what they are doing and all that is involved.
Reggie, your girl is truly beautiful and young so you have lots of time to find just the perfect male for your goals. Good luck with her! :)

Yeah I surely don't want to discourage anyone from breeding either. It is exciting and I have fun and enjoy doing it. However I do want to encourage everyone to do research before breeding. Make sure they know what it entails and you hate to buy a bunch of snakes just to find out later that genes don't match and you have a bunch of babies that you can't get rid of. Or worse yet not know the risk to your snakes and be devastated when things go wrong.

About the genes not matching up, that's exactly why I'm asking. So if I make the final decision wether or not I'll breed her, I'll know what I'll get for babies and know wether they'll be able to find homes. I've done a bunch of research in the past, and am pretty sure that I'll do it, but it'll be another couple years probably. I'm in no rush and am enjoying the discussions here!

Just real quick, some possibilities:

Reggie, another locality Okeetee or a really nice "reverse" Okeetee
Sarabi, an ultramel charcoal to eventually produce blizzards, among other things ;)

I Think I got it...

Just real quick, some possibilities:

Reggie, another locality Okeetee or a really nice "reverse" Okeetee
Sarabi, an ultramel charcoal to eventually produce blizzards, among other things ;)

Thanks for your input!

So based on my understanding and corn calculator, by breeding a (homozygous) ultramel (homozygous) charcoal, to my presumably (homozygous) ultramel female should produce 1/4 ultra, 1/4 amel, and 1/2 ultramel, all het for charcoal.

So if I breed the babies together or to a similar snake (or even a blizzard) I should get blizzard babies. This first breeding will not produce blizzards, unless Sarabi has unknown hets.

I have put thought into breeding Reggie, but he's been highly cage aggressive and unpredictable during handling for many months now (while relaxing, he'll randomly bite down on my hand without warning or any signs). I plan to work with him greatly to try to break him of this behavior, but if he turns out to be "uncorrectable" (which I doubt) I will not breed him (despite his heritage of pure Okeetees according to the breeder) due to the risk of passing on an undesirable personality. He was once very friendly, I think I can bring his friendliness back before breeding him.

If I do breed Reggie though, I'm pretty sure I would breed to reverse Okeetee, to produce babies het for reverse. I already know they have homes with my friends. Homes for Reggie babies are not a problem (he's famous for his 2 week escape during high school, lol)

Sorry for the extra long post. What does this corn community think?

This may seem like a dumb question, but what is the difference between an Ultra and an Ultramel from the same clutch (pics to show?)? The answer to this question could make the difference between using a Blizzard to breed to Sarabi or using an Ultramel Charcoal male...

I really like the look of both males, but either way I will eventually get blizzards in the second generation. I'm leaning more towards the ultramel charcoal male though, especially with the mix of 3 different looking types of babies in the first clutch.

btw, thanks for the input everyone! I almost wanted to try a breeding of Reggie and Sarabi! lol, now I know more than ever about genetics and how much planning it takes before even selecting the breeders!

I think you got it. I am not really sure myself about the ultra/ultramel stuff so I will let someone else answer that one.
As far as your okeetee being a bit...bitey. That seems to be quite natural for that type of corn. I have 2 of them and while my DayTony can be quite the love, he can also be quite....uummm spirited. And his mate DayTonia is always a bit fiesty!

Back