• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What to breed?

tompro019

Well, I know I am getting a late start, but I got some breeders the other day, and I don't know what I want to breed to what. I have several goldust morphs. males and females. I also have a male Opal Butter Motley that I want to put with somwthing Maybe: my Snow PH Lav, blood, stripe or maybe a Ultramel, maybe Hypo Lav blood. Any of these sound like something good?

Then it really becomes a personal choice. Since the corn market sucks right now I always recommend people to breed what they find most interesting.

I have a female butter motley that I want to pair with my opal butter motley. I will see how that comes out.

Then it really becomes a personal choice. Since the corn market sucks right now I always recommend people to breed what they find most interesting.

What she said^^^^

Breed what you like and like what you breed, because right now the market stinks, you might be stuck with them for a bit. :)

I also have a male Goldust het hypo and a female Goldust het hypo, I am still trying to remember all morph stuff, so I can't think of what I would get If I bred the two.

Now see if it were me, that is what I would breed but I am partial to yellow snakes. You would get Golddusts and Hypo Golddust. I have never seen one personally so I would do it just to see a Hypo Golddust.

I love the yellow ones too. I have several goldust morphs. These are the goldusts I have.
Females: Goldust het motley, Goldust het hypo, and Goldust motley het anery.
Males: Goldust het hypo, Goldust stripe, and Goldust motley het anery.

male Goldust het hypo and a female Goldust het hypo
Because of the way Goldust (Ultramel + Caramel) works, you'll get a mix of Goldusts and other results. According to the Corncalc, the above combo will theoretically result in:

3 / 8 Gold Dust ( Ultramel, Caramel ) 66% poss het. Hypo
3 / 16 Ultra Caramel ( Ultra, Caramel ) 66% poss het. Hypo
3 / 16 Butter ( Amel, Caramel ) 66% poss het. Hypo
1 / 16 Hypo Butter ( Amel, Caramel, Hypo )
1 / 8 Gold Dust, Hypo ( Ultramel, Caramel, Hypo )
1 / 16 Ultra Caramel, Hypo ( Ultra, Caramel, Hypo )

Be aware that a sizeable chunk of the Corn community believe Goldusts to have been derived from hybridisation, so you may not have as large a market for those. However, it shouldn't make a difference if you're breeding for the pet trade.

Another thing to be aware of, is that it's difficult to visually tell GoldDusts from Ultra Caramels. I only made the mistake of breeding a GoldDust x GoldDust pair the once, and ended up labelling the offspring "GoldDust or Ultra Caramel" when I sold them! After that, I went for GoldDust x Butter pairs - this results in GoldDusts and Butters which can be easily distinguished.

I think Susan's got closest to managing it so far. Here are a few discussions that we've had in the past, which might give you some hints:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113047&highlight=ultra+caramel+golddust

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105095&highlight=ultra+caramel+golddust

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86582&highlight=ultra+caramel+golddust

Back