• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What to do with an extra 20 gallon?

Jupiter

Ahhhhh it has been a WHILE.... I've taken some time off from posting on this site, me and Sir Blinky have been doing amazing. Didn't know where to post this, so I thought I'd just leave it here to see if it got any responses.

So the question is pretty simple, it's what the title of the post is, what would YOU do with an extra 20 gallon tank? I'm not very experienced in the reptile keeping game (sir Blinky is my first and only scaley), and I have no idea what to do with his old tank now that he is moving on up. I was thinking about another corn, but what do you all think? What are some of your alls favorite things to keep that can be kept in a 20 gallon?

I just scored a free 50or55 gallon tank from a co-worker, and will be moving Sir Blinky into it at the end of the month after I get it good and clean. Speaking of clean, it was used to house fish a LONG time ago, then a couple hamsters lived in it for about 3 years, and then it sat in a storage shed for about a year. The result was some water marks going all the way around the top, and some caked on hamster waste in all 4 corners (not much, but enough to make me thoroughly clean it for the past 5 days). The hamster marks on the bottom were no problem at all, but the water marks are proving more difficult to get rid of, any suggestions?

I'll be posting in husbandry and basic care about a size question I have about Sir Blinky, if I can't find the answer via searching, doesn't seem appropriate to post here.

Anyways thanks for any responses, I'll probably be a lot more active on this site now that I'm getting the "fever" to learn more about reptiles and own another potentially. I'll respond as fast as I can, so please feel free to ask any questions about the tank/potential reptile pets.

Here's a super-crappy-on-the-spot pic of Sir Blinky, to make up for the giant post I just made.

b7e631e571e430af10694a76b18a2553.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As for the water marks on the 55 gallon tank. A good old razor blade and regular vinegar and some good scrubbing and it will come right off.
Its just hard water and calcium deposits on the tank not harming anything but just looks crappy.

As for the water marks on the 55 gallon tank. A good old razor blade and regular vinegar and some good scrubbing and it will come right off.
Its just hard water and calcium deposits on the tank not harming anything but just looks crappy.
Yeah I agree that's the easiest way.
I'm into shrimping, and I'd set up a nice new breeding tank.
http://shrimpery.com/shrimps

VERY interesting suggestion and I'm sure a first here :cheers:

OP, If you want to try a 4 legged reptile then a leopard gecko is a good beginner lizard.

Best regards to you and Sir Blinky!

Yeah, I'd put another corn snake in the 20 gallon, but that's just me. First I'd have to build a stand to hold it though!

P.S. Sir Blinky is looking so handsome!

Thank you all for the responses!

Kiko- that's the first time I've ever heard of keeping shrimp, and looking through the link, there are some awesome looking ones to choose from! Very interesting, I wish I was better with aquatic life, but I couldn't keep a goldfish alive I don't think [emoji15]

Mrgalvan- thanks, never thought of that, I will get right on that after work, thanks for the idea [emoji16]

Daddio- I was heavily looking into leopard geckos about 8 months ago, but the only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is the fact that they need live food, and I don't live anywhere remotely close to somewhere to buy that, nor do I think the is anyone remotely close that already buys (someone I could go in with on costs). I was doing a lot of research on Dubia Roach colonies? They seem really convenient, I'm just not sure about my ability to keep them doing well enough to be my only source of feeders, do you have any experience with them?

DollysMom- thanks [emoji5]! I need to get him the next size up feeder, large hoppers just aren't doing the trick anymore. He is getting so big compared to a year ago when he was a weeee little ~10g. And yea, I think that unless I can figure something out with leopard geckos, another corn will probably be the way I go. Then I have the absolutely insurmountable choice of what morph to go with [emoji39]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol, as to morph, you will know it when you see it. That's how I, who love normals and belly checkers totally fell in love with a little butter motley. Stay open and the right morph will find you. :).

Thank you all for the responses!
Daddio- I was heavily looking into leopard geckos about 8 months ago, but the only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is the fact that they need live food, and I don't live anywhere remotely close to somewhere to buy that, nor do I think the is anyone remotely close that already buys (someone I could go in with on costs). I was doing a lot of research on Dubia Roach colonies? They seem really convenient, I'm just not sure about my ability to keep them doing well enough to be my only source of feeders, do you have any experience with them?

Yeah I hear you there. I usually recommend a Crested Gecko first because of that but I think the tank is what made me say Leopard Gecko LOL. If it has a sliding top then you could turn it up on and end so it has height. Cresteds are super easy to take care of.
I do breed Dubia roaches. I have a very prolific breeding colony and a 3 drawer storage container for different sizes that are feeders. After researching I also thought that they might be more difficult to breed than it would be worth trying but after my local (1 hour away) supplier was always out of them or closed I figured I'd give it a try. It couldn't of been more simpler!!!! I put very little thought in their upkeep now. I had a 20L available with a UTH already attached and bought a mixed group of dubia at a expo that way I had some to feed right off and others that were reaching breeding size and age. It seemed like it went a couple of months before I saw babies and I was thinking "well this failed" by that point. Now I am overrun with them. My lizards eat well because of the excess feeder roaches being produced. I do buy cricket water gel and bearded bites as a treat but they eat mostly veggie and fruit peelings that we would normally just throw out. I clean every couple of months when I sort them for size and put them in the storage drawers. EASY !
I been trying to get the Petlife close to me to try them but just as people are freaked out over snakes they are freaked out over roaches !

Back