• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

why did i choose a beardie

hi its a long story first of all i brought a beardie it was fine active didn't go bed till 8pm the day after he starts blackbearding hissing going bed early waking up early never awake always bloody sleeping. it is sooo boring the reasoni chose a beardie because i wanted something fun and i can let run around but why did i buy one a tortoise for god sake is more exiting sorry for the language is there someything wrong or is he just lazy

Whats his UV light cycle? Perhaps your leaving the lights on too long... Lizards NEED a day/night cycle to function properly.

Ok, I'm not going to flame you, but just ask have you researched everything, the light requirements, feeding/supplement routines? Beardies seem to have a lot of work needed to keep healthy, just check Nancie's threads to see how much she puts into keeping her lovely beardie happy. (And the other devoted beardie owners on here too)

Given that you live in the Northern Hemisphere, it's natural for your beardie to be in a lethargic, semi-hibernated state this time of year; my two beardies are active for all of three hours a day, if I'm lucky.

Beardies are VERY "heliotropic", and even if you blast them with all the UV your electric bill can muster, they'll still be sensitive enough to the natural light cycle provided by the sun.

regards,
jazz

How long have you had the beardie? Maybe he's still settling in. Some lizards can need several weeks without being handled to properly settle down.

Most reptiles are fairly 'boring' in comparison to other pets. I have four reptiles and they ALL hide away. None of them come up and do tricks for me and I don't want them to because they just are the way they are. :shrugs:

I'm sorry you're not happy with your lizard, but it isn't his fault his behaviour doesn't please you.

Before we can give any real advice, we need to know all about his set up.
What are the temps, how are they measured? what kind of UVB bulb do you have and how close can he get to it? how big is the cage, what do you use for substrate?
What are you feeding him, what kind of supplements?
where is his cage located? how big/old is he?

Beardies are notoriously lazy, if he is eating and basking then there probably isn't anything to worry about. The black bearding and hissing means he is either unhappy or scared

he is a sub adult he is located in the consevatory (if you americans no what it is) so he can look out the window his temputure is 85

All Isabel does right now is sleep. She eats 1-4 silkworms every three or four days. I _try_ every day, though. I also soak her for 20 minutes every day so she doesn't get dehydrated. Sometimes she cracks her eye open at me or tilts her head if I talk to her. But she just really wants to sleep.

Are you using heat bulbs or ceramics?

What % of UV are you using?

You really need to give us much more information but I would bet you simply don't have him set up properly.

Yikes! no wonder all he does is sleep. He is way too cold and from the sounds of it you don't have UVB?

Nanci, you can let Isabel sleep for as long as she wants. I know its hard seeing your dragon laying around cold but she will be ok. Daily soaks really aren't necessary either and it distrups her sleeping cycle.

Back