• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Why not just feed it less?"

Teddy Roosevelt

i loev cronsankes
Boo was out and about tonight, earlier than I expected him to be since he's MY BIG EATING BOY on two pinks now, and he looked so BIG (relative to Mouse and how big he was in November) so I told my mom how excited I was that he was putting on some weight faster now. "Why not just feed it less?" she said. "...what?" I replied, with my usual wit. "You know, so it stays small."
I started laughing. I thought she was joking, no way my mother could be so careless with animals that she would keep it on "baby food" so it stays small and cute. Then she asked why I was laughing. I had to explain to a 45 year old woman why you can't simply reduce the amount of food you give a baby animal so it stays small, nor would I want to, and anyways 17g may be big compared to the 9g he came to me at, but it's not even a tenth of what his adult size should be.:awcrap: I guess I shouldn't be that surprised though; this is the same lady who insists that even though our shelter dog with a bad leg is panting and lagging behind while she runs 3 miles nonstop, "she can handle it because dogs are supposed to travel hundreds of miles a day".:headbang: I'm just gonna talk about animals to people who know about animals, from now on, and save myself the teeth grinding.

Lexie, you can't expect everyone in the world to understand. Why the UPS lady told me to put food in the snakes deli cups when I ship them. I have found talking to some people about snakes never ends well. Others I get better reactions from. My mother is a biology major so she is usally pretty good about the snakes, my dad owns a print shop, so he id not the easiest person to talk to. Hope this helps.

It's not even about snakes... I asked her, if when we got the dog (as a puppy) would she have fed it less to keep it at that little rat-dog size she so adores? Her reply was "Well if it started to get fat, then yeah". And my mother is currently studying to be a nurse. She's taking the final on her intro to bio course tomorrow; one of the subjects that was taught was metabolism and growth... I can't believe she doesn't know better.

Hot moms aside, I've had to teach my parents a lot about animals as well. I don't think people my age understand that their parents didn't have the easy access to information like we do now. Just the other day my Dad asked me the exact same question in the OP because he thought that you could just feed reptiles and fish less to keep them small. Thankfully my parents are very open-minded to what I tell them because they accept the knowledge I've learned through my work and personal experiences.

Not really air-headed, just ignorant of certain subjects. :)

Back