• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Will a snake overeat?

Sluggo_63

I'm away on a business trip, and my wife was tasked to feed our new snake. He's been eating two pinkies the last couple of times I fed him, and after eating, there was hardly any lump the day after, so I wanted to move him up to a fuzzy this feeding.

My wife went to the pet store, and they said they had no fuzzies, so she decided to buy two pinkies again. The problem is, she said, that the "pinkies" are much larger than any of the other pinkies he had ever eaten. It's took him a while to eat the first one, and there is quite a noticeable lump. He's started on the second one, and now she's concerned that it's too much for him. (She didn't take out the second fuzzy for fear of him striking her if he was still hungry... baby steps for the wife and snake... I'm lucky she actually goes in the same room as him now)

Anyhow, my thinking is that he won't eat anything that he didn't think he could handle, and if he did eat too much, the worst that's going to happen is that he'll regurgitate. do we have anything to worry about? We're new at this, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

snakes will overeat, and snakes will sometimes take in something that's too big, which would lead to a regurge. The thing you have to remember though is that the labels - pinky, fuzzy, hopper, etc - are just names. If the "pinkies" are the size of fuzzies, then call them whatever you want...it all comes down to how much food your corn is getting.

Regurgitation would be a problem. It's not something that you ever want to deal with, but I suspect that your corn will survive. They seem to be able to eat more than you think! I have a few that would probably eat a truck everyday if you put it in there, and then I have others who just won't eat more than one if they aren't hungry, such as before shed. It all depends on the critter!

Like others have said, if he can't handle it then he'll regurge it. In the time being I'd leave him alone for a few days longer and double check all your temps to make sure he has good temps for digestion. You'll be surprised at what they can manage to eat!

Back